Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 755 G3 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have one HP EliteBook 755 G3 Notebook PC that is currently having the AMD A8-8600B processor.

Is it possible to do upgrade to A10-8700B or A12-8800B?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry I misread the Manual on the first pass. The CPU is soldered onto the motherboard. You would have to replace the entire system board to upgrade. Again, sorry. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

From the Service Manual:

AMD®
Carrizo processors:
● A12 Pro-8800B 2.1 GHz (max turbo frequency 3.4 GHz), DDR3-2133, 2 MB L2 Cache, 15 W
● A10 Pro-8700B 1.8 GHz (max turbo frequency 3.2 GHz), DDR3-2133, 2 MB L2 Cache, 15 W

Service Manual 

There is a single motherboard used and all processors use the same heatsink/fan regardless of processor so in a word, yes you can upgrade to the A10 or A12. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

Thank you for the quick reply. It is what I wanted to know. Just one more question.

The 755 G3 motherboard, it allows CPU replacement, yes? The processor unit is not soldered to the motherboard? So upgrade is a quick and easy step, right?

Thank you in advance. Have a great day!

HP Recommended

By the way, where can I buy AMD processors?

HP Recommended

Sorry I misread the Manual on the first pass. The CPU is soldered onto the motherboard. You would have to replace the entire system board to upgrade. Again, sorry. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

Thank you for the confirmation. I also find it a bit difficult to get the AMD processor, so I think this simply confirms my decision to scrap the upgrade.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Yes I went to my sources to find the processor and learned for laptops its only offered as a ball grid package which means soldered so I went back and took another look at the Manual. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.