Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Yesterday my laptop fan started making this whirring/buzzing noise when I started my computer up. I've had this laptop for over a year, and I know that this is a weird and abnormal sound. I did some research online and the general consensus on the first step was to use compressed air in the vents. So I bought a can and used it, to no avail. So, I attempted to open up the laptop to take a look at the fan, but I couldn't figure out how. I removed the screws and the plate in the middle, but I can't figure out how to access the fan. Does anyone have any solutions to this? I'd rather not throw in the towel and pay for expensive repairs.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello GeneralSu,

You can get directions on how to do many repairs from the Maintenance and Service Guide manual

For your issue, I know you've already used the canned air.  Take a look at this document, and see if the other steps help.
  Please let me know.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info! I looked at the manual, and the disassembly looks pretty complicated...is there a way to just open the back and look at the fan? Because it seems to me that I have to remove a bunch of stuff before even being able to access the fan. 

Also, if the fan were broken, hypothetically speaking, what would be the best course of action to take?

HP Recommended

No, you'll have to access the fan per the instructions in the manual.  If the fan is broken,  you can order another one at HP Partsurfer by using the part number located in your manual.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

This happened with my HP Pavillion recently where it suddenly started buzzing really loudly.  I shutdown laptop and turned it on again, but the loud buzzing sound returned.  I then noticed the F12 button shaking and felt air coming through from underneathe it.  I figured the fan was being blocked somehow so I turned laptop off, turned it over and took out the battery.  I then wiped down battery and back of laptop with clean cloth and used a hairpin to pick out the dustballs from the vents at both ends of laptop.  After cleaning out the dust, there is no more buzzing sound after I restarted laptop. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.