Teacher
73 1 33
Message 1 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Active Pen Does Not Work with Spectre X2

Spectre X2 Detachable
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new Spectre X2 detachable.  I got an Active Stylus, from Best Buy, and it does not work with the X2.  At best I get random dots up and down the screen.

Is this the right stylus for the X2?

Is there a driver or calibration service needed to get the Stylus to work?  Does the Stylus touch need to be activated from Control Panel?

Please help.

16 REPLIES
meisenman Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 2 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm in the same boat as you, but I got my pen from HP (the HP Active Pen) with the notebook.  Turns out the Spectre/Pen are not compatible with each other.  Still no idea which needs updating, the Spectre or the Pen.

0 Kudos
walden15 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same trouble. Before buying the HP Active Pen a sales rep told me via chat that the pen was compatible. Either it's not, or I'm missing something.

0 Kudos
jbutler1002 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same here. New Spectre 12 x2, new Active Pen. Tried reloading machine, nothing. The same pen works fine on new Spectre x360.

I've noticed that the pen in all of the reviews looks different than this one. I don't know if that is at all relevant.

HP customer support may be the very worst that I've ever tried to use. I have over 5 hours on the phone so far. Last night I spent 2.5 hours with a guy that knows a lot less than me. See spot run level support. By the time the case deserved 'elevated', they were closing - so i was hung up on. I see that no one has replied to this thread, either.

0 Kudos
jbutler1002 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 5 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Finally tracked down the answer. The Spectre 12 x2 uses a different stylus technology, therefore uses a different pen. As i understand it, this is Wacom's fairly new AES technology. The correct pen is not listed on the HP site, and is currently on backorder - according to the sales rep that I spoke with. Also, wacom does not sell an equivalent directly. 

0 Kudos
hoffphil Top Student
Top Student
1 0 2
Message 6 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, tech support and sales support is useless and a waste.  from another board I found a reference to Part # 834590-001 Active Stylus that is suppose to be compatible with the Spectre X2 12.  Note this is not the active pen referenced on the Spectre X2 12 sales web site as an accessory to the X2 (i.e. Active Pen model J4R51AA#ABL or part number 773175-001).  On the web site of partsurfer.hp.com, part # 834590-001 is listed as used in model Spectre X2 12-a002dx, but not in used in the other two Spectre X2 12 models.  Does anyone have any idea if part # 834590-001 is compatible with the other two Spectre X2 12 models.

It sure would be nice if someone from HP knew what they were doing and had the decency to serve their customers well by posting the correct pen on the Spectre X2 sales web site and would give their customers the straight answers at Tech Support and Sales Support telephone and chat lines when they call like I have.

csjodon Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 7 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Has anyone found a definitive solution to this problem yet?  I just purchased an X2 12-a001dx and am having the same problem.  I've spent several hour long sessions with hp support and they barely know what a stylus is.  Their answer is a wacom stylus but will not givde me a part nunber.  I have already returned the hp active stylus and 2 different wacom bamboo stylus. 

0 Kudos
csjodon Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 8 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I appear to have found a compatible device, through no help of HP.  I was able to test and purchase today the Just|Mobile AluPen Digital stylus.  It was $50 at MicroCenter and it seems to work well.  There are no buttons on it and it is a little fatter than i would like it to be but it has a fine tip and the tip it retractable. 

If anyone else finds a better solution, please let us know.

Thx

0 Kudos
meisenman Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 9 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just received this pen ( Part # 834590-001 Active Stylus that) and it is compatible with the Spectre X2 12.  Works great!

0 Kudos
SeanV71 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 10 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So what is the pen #

I talked to support (Another waste of time)  He gave me Item Number 834590-001

I'm going to try it.  If it does not work I'm turning in this computer to get another one.

I can't beleive any company will launch a new product and not have the accessories to go with it,  Especially when all the marketing material shows that this computer works with a stylus.

Very upset with HP

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation