Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertable
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My original adaptor will not charge my laptop when it is powered on, but it will charge the battery when it is shut down. I know it is not an overheating issue because my older adapter (that came with a previous HP laptop) is charging the laptop when it is on.

I have tried reinstalling the battery driver, updated Windows 10, and nothing has rectified the issue. The battery is holding its charge perfectly after I charge it with my older adapter.

Is it possible that the adapter is somehow bad? I just don't understand why the adapter is charging the laptop when it is off but not when it is on. 

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@skigirl16 I'll pray for you, so that you may do what you love, and I hope that helps!

As for the adapter, you are right, replacing it is the best option and I wouldn't advise travelling either, here's what I suggest:

you may order the replacement parts on the HP Parts Store, If you've already looked for it and couldn't find it on the HP Parts Store, you may want to get it locally at the online store such as Amazon or eBay, etc...as the part numbers are universal.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@skigirl16 Are you a professional ski girl or aspired? just curious 🙂

Meanwhile, here's a few things you should know:

If the old adapter is working fine, while the new is only charging the device while its turned off, we may have an issue with the adapter, the same could be replaced, however, if you wish to troubleshoot the issue and continue to use the new adapter until we exhaust all available steps, let's dive in:

I suggest you start with a hard reset: Click here for steps,

When done, you may want to check with an alternate power cord/adapter as it could be a malfunction that's causing this issue to occur, here's what you could do:

If the charger shows inconsistent power output values, I would suggest that you step into Best Buy or staples and try with a different adapter and that should isolate the issue to the adapter or the computer.

Please try a different battery on the unit as well. 

Do not buy the battery and adapter. It is only for testing.

Use spare ones that they may have. If it works correctly, then you could think of buying it.

Meanwhile, also, try the below:

Steps to uninstall the ACPI drivers

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> Batteries>then select the s drivers and right-click on it and uninstall all battery drivers.

Then restart the computer and check again.

Link for battery testing and calibration

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestions! 

The battery passed tests with both the old, functioning adaptor and the new, non-fully functioning adapter. When I tried to test the adaptor that is not charging, it just canceled the test. 

I tried a hard reset, and the problem charger is still not charging when the laptop is on. Uninstalling the drivers also did not fix the issue.

I live100+ miles from Best Buy or Staples, and given the current situation with the pandemic, going to a store is not possible. I might just order a new adapter. 

As for my user name, I've only skied 3x in my life. I'd love to ski more but because I have a disability, I need adaptive equipment and not many people have the equipment. The times I was able to ski, it was thanks to volunteers. So it was a user name I began using when I was young. :).

HP Recommended

@skigirl16 I'll pray for you, so that you may do what you love, and I hope that helps!

As for the adapter, you are right, replacing it is the best option and I wouldn't advise travelling either, here's what I suggest:

you may order the replacement parts on the HP Parts Store, If you've already looked for it and couldn't find it on the HP Parts Store, you may want to get it locally at the online store such as Amazon or eBay, etc...as the part numbers are universal.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.