Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
01-05-2021 02:56 PM
I tried the HP support chat as Gregg suggested but struck out. The technician said that his tool could not identify a part and suggested that I contact HP sales, and of course the cable part number L87952-001 is not available. I did try this part from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFCSG5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That is a 12 pin connector but I couldn't get that to work either. If someone else gets it to work please let the rest of us know.
01-05-2021 05:24 PM - edited 01-05-2021 05:31 PM
Folks, I went here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact/laptops and entered the serial number for my Envy. Then scrolled down to the Chat section and selected Chat Now. I was connected to a live agent and from there I game him the model number of the part (L87952-001). He found it and gave me a total price of $38.11 US to have it shipped from the Service Center in Grapevine, TX to my residence in South East Virginia. It came via FedEx. The part name on the box is: SPS-HDD Cable.
I hope this helps you.
01-12-2021 09:45 AM
I received the cable yesterday and installed it. It works! The cable is a little bit short so I had to route it underneath the drive. Also, be sure that the shiny contacts go down toward the motherboard. For those looking to install an internal drive in a 17t-cg000 here are the steps.
1. Order cable part number L87952-001 by opening a chat with HP support as described above or, I understand the part can now be ordered directly from HP parts supply. It cost me a little over $40.
2. Install the cable on the drive before mounting.
3. Use the rails that are installed in the empty drive bay to mount the drive.
4. Plug the end of the cable into the motherboard connector, shiny parts down. I believe it's labeled "HDD1".
5. Button everything up, turn on the computer, and run the disk management tool to partition and format the drive.
Good luck everyone.
03-16-2021 11:01 AM
I've been looking for this cable too (L87952-001) for a 17t-cg100. I tried HP. I even tried the chat route.
Newmodeus now has a kit, which I think is probably aftermarket, but they want $45 for the thing... https://shopnewmodeus.com/collections/hp/products/hdd-ssd-hp-envy-17t-cg000-series-compatible-with-l...1
I searched in google and found Impact Computers has it too, and for $9.98 https://www.impactcomputers.com/l87952-001.html. This seems almost too good to be true. I just ordered one FedEx ground. I will update when it arrives. My computer is due to arrive from HP on the 23rd.