Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear Community,

I would like to add an extra SSD to my Hp Zbook g3 studio. I found that the following SSD is compatible with my laptop but unfortunately it has been sold out for the last 2 months.

Crucial MX200 500GB M.2 Type 2280 (Single Sided) Internal SSD

Therefore, I have some questions regarding an extra SSD:

- Is it better to add a 500gb SSD and use external storage  or a 1 terabyte SSD?

- Is every M.2 2280 (single Sided) SSD compatible with my laptop?

- And does somebody maybe know an alternative SSD to the one above that is compatible with my laptop?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Greetings,

Rick,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The complexity of all this is way out of hand. What you are showing there is an M.2 SATA drive. I just put a 512 gig M.2 NVME (aka PCI-e) drive in my Zbook G3 (not studio). I know your laptop is a bit different but I am fairly sure it has the same kind of M.2 slots and I am not sure a SATA will work. I know it does not work the other way around. If the laptop is made for SATA M.2 drives only, you cannot use a PCI-e. I actually installed an official HP part. The ordering process is another whole matter, but let's just say I got it and it turned out to be a Samsung SM951:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-512GB-NVMe-MZVPV512HDGL-00000/dp/B015CWR4M2/ref=pd_lpo_147_tr_t...

I used it to replace a 256 gig Samsung PM951 which is like the budget PCI-e M.2 model so I know both of them work. 

Look at the pictures and you can see a difference. The SATA drive has 3 prongs that plug in and the PCI-e only has 2. 

The Manual on p. 2:

Manual

does specify EITHER a SATA M.2 or a PCI-e so you may be OK but I will tell you a PCI-e has double or triple the read/write speeds. 

Mine supports 2 x M.2 and a 2.5 inch SATA. Yours accepts 2 x M.2 as I read the Manual and what appears to be a non-standard 2.5 inch SD. 

I actually still have the 256 gig PM951. We can help you find something compatible and I can tell you the HP part was priced at a very favorable point (about the same as the Crucial that is out of stock) if you can stand to wait through the rather difficult and slow ordering process. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Acept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The complexity of all this is way out of hand. What you are showing there is an M.2 SATA drive. I just put a 512 gig M.2 NVME (aka PCI-e) drive in my Zbook G3 (not studio). I know your laptop is a bit different but I am fairly sure it has the same kind of M.2 slots and I am not sure a SATA will work. I know it does not work the other way around. If the laptop is made for SATA M.2 drives only, you cannot use a PCI-e. I actually installed an official HP part. The ordering process is another whole matter, but let's just say I got it and it turned out to be a Samsung SM951:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-512GB-NVMe-MZVPV512HDGL-00000/dp/B015CWR4M2/ref=pd_lpo_147_tr_t...

I used it to replace a 256 gig Samsung PM951 which is like the budget PCI-e M.2 model so I know both of them work. 

Look at the pictures and you can see a difference. The SATA drive has 3 prongs that plug in and the PCI-e only has 2. 

The Manual on p. 2:

Manual

does specify EITHER a SATA M.2 or a PCI-e so you may be OK but I will tell you a PCI-e has double or triple the read/write speeds. 

Mine supports 2 x M.2 and a 2.5 inch SATA. Yours accepts 2 x M.2 as I read the Manual and what appears to be a non-standard 2.5 inch SD. 

I actually still have the 256 gig PM951. We can help you find something compatible and I can tell you the HP part was priced at a very favorable point (about the same as the Crucial that is out of stock) if you can stand to wait through the rather difficult and slow ordering process. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Acept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Dear Huffer.

Sorry for the late response. I had some bussy months. Thanks for the amazing answer! There seems to be a 256 gig SATA-III 6gb/s in my laptop. So replacing this one with the 512 gig PCI drive sounds good! After doing some research I found 2 SSD's I like. The Samsung SM961 512GB you suggested and the Samsung 960 Pro.

Which one would you suggest?  

And I guess it's not smart to put a 1 terabyte drive in my laptop when I can easily do with 512?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Greetings,

Screenshot (11).png

HP Recommended

The 960 Pro is probably a bit faster since it is a "Pro" but I believe either one would work. The capacity of the drive you install depends on your budget and needs. 512 is plenty for most people but some people download a lot of movies or such and need more space. 

HP Recommended

I am trying to install a m2 ssd in my second m2 slot on a Zbook Studio. Do I need a mounting kit todo this or just put the SSD in as it is?

HP Recommended

It needs a screw to hold it down but no mounting kit. 

HP Recommended

Dear Huffer,

Thanks for the amazing response. The SSD just arrived and I want to install it this week. Would you suggest installing it in the second slot or as a replacement for the original SSD. Are there any downsides of having two ssd's in the laptop?

Thanks in advance,

Greetings,

Rick,

HP Recommended

Which one did you buy? No reason not to have 2 x SSDs in the laptop that I can think of. Do you want to clone the old disk to the new or do a clean install on the new? 

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for the reply! I bought the 960 pro. I installed it this morning beside my original hard drive and it works like a charm! Thanks again for the excellent advice!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.