Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power 15 - cb042nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking at adding an NVME SSD to the notebook for Windows and applications. From looking at the Service manual, I see that an NVME drive is supported in the M2 "slot".

From browsing her & other sites, it seems that older models of the "Power Pavilion" had troubles booting from an NVME drive (but not from mSATA).

Any one know for (reasonably) sure that it will allow booting from the NVME drive?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Yes it can boot from the M.2 slot with a PCIe/NVME disk installed. If you buy it from HP with a dual disk configuration, a hard drive plus an NVME M.2 it comes with the NVME set as the boot disk. 

Service Manual

Post back if you want any more help. You may want to consult regarding what NVME disk to buy, how to install it and how to configure it as boot disk. Happy to help. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. I got one with just the HDD. Good deal.

As for the SSD, I'm looking seriously at a Samsung 970 EVO. Decent price, good reputation.

Here's my install plan.

1) install Samsung's NVME driver (not Magician) on the system

2) clone the HDD using their Migration software (I've got an enclosure & cable)

3) remove the HDD (looks like a simple 'unplug')

4) install the SSD (insert, place retaining screw)

5) Power up, boot into BIOS and make needed changes

6) Once it's running on the SSD, replace the HDD and Quick format it.

If I'm missing something, please point it out.

Also configuration tips?

HP Recommended

That is pretty much the deal. Not sure you need the Samsung NVME driver although I have it installed on the laptop I am sending this on using an older Samsung NVME card (PM961). 

I would be interested to see the enclosure if it works with an NVME disk. You might have to put the M.2 inside the laptop to do the clone. I have not found an external enclosure that works with an NVME M.2 disk. 

HP Recommended

I think I saw something that it was using the NVME in an enclosure was why the driver was needed.

Any how, I'll try it in the enclosure and if it doesn't work, inside the laptop.

I'll leave this open and post back to let you know.

BTW, found an enclosure that DOES support NVME to USB, but it's almost as expensive as the drive!

HP Recommended

I haven't looked for one for a while. I am actually adding an NVME right now to an HP laptop and am going to try to clone the HDD to the M.2 inside the laptop. I will let you and everyone know how it goes. 

HP Recommended

Hi guys. Thank you for this thread, it helped me to add a NVME to my HP Pavilion Power 15 - cb028nf, namely a Samsung 970 evo. It works fine.

For other users here is the step I followed :

- Open the laptop and put in the nvme ssd
- boot

- install samusing driver, restart

- open desktop manager, go to storage and Disk Management. After naming the ssd, create a new partition for the disk here.

- install Samsung Magician, update the firmware on the ssd.

- using samsung data migration to copy data from hdd to ssd. The software asked for a shutdown after completing the copy.

- Boot again, go to F2 for test drive, testing the SSD.
- F9 for boot order list, choosing to boot from the named ssd.

Not sure if every things I did actually helped but I had no problem whatsoever with this steps.

HP Recommended

- F9 for boot order list, choosing to boot from the named ssd.

Each time when i will on my laptop do i need to press F9 to select boot drive?

HP Recommended

I know the manual said 256GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 SSD. Can you install 500GB or 1TB SSD ? What happen if one installs a bigger SSD?

HP Recommended

It will work. The Manual only lists the ways HP offered it for sale. The hardware does not limit the capacity of an NVME M.2 SSD. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.