Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Thanks guys! Sorry for the confusion... a few threads on this.

HP Recommended
The model number should be right under the battery, there's only three ppl I know of including yourself that have had success and the other two are using the n000 series.

Apparently it's a more premium laptop since it comes with the fingerprint reader and the 6700HQ processor, so I'm guessing HP "gifted" those that spent the extra money with the ability to use the M.2 port whether as an additional drive or OS drive. Those with the n100 series are the budget models and the only way I've been seeing to get M.2 working is to get one directly from HP (or customized) with the stick installed which will cost $250+ and then swap it out with another M.2 drive.
HP Recommended

It would be nice to get a copy of the BIOS (a full BIOS dump would be needed) of a working M.2 system that has the same mainboard model as the M7-n109dx. The mainboard's model is 80E6, and can be found with a program like CPU-Z--it may even be listed in the BIOS setup screen. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to come across anyone with an 80E6 that has a working M.2 port. 

HP Recommended
Yeah I tried using my M.2 drive before upgrading the BIOS from F.23 to .35 (completely different issue with the screen being black which required the update to fix it) and no matter what, it wouldn't take. the only thing I didn't do which I'm reading about in another post now is remove the main OS drive (1tb) and trying to do a fresh install or migrated install with just the M.2 drive in place and then once it comes up add back the other drive. Another thing I've noticed is ppl that have the 6700HQ processor installed have had more success regardless of it being n000 or n100.
HP Recommended

Well, I'll save you a headache... I've tried that (M.2 drive only), and it's the same deal. These mainboards have their processors soldered in, so the 6700HQ processor boards will be a different model mainboard. 

*edit: I may be wrong on the different model mainboard--just my assumption--but it could be the same board if the processors use the same socket-type.

HP Recommended

@soundprizm wrote:

Well, I'll save you a headache... I've tried that (M.2 drive only), and it's the same deal. These mainboards have their processors soldered in, so the 6700HQ processor boards will be a different model mainboard. 

*edit: I may be wrong on the different model mainboard--just my assumption--but it could be the same board if the processors use the same socket-type.

So I'm doing some research right now and found two things, since you have an extensive history with this.

1. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxaPdOVZqbSYQlh2am9wZVo0Zzg

This link is a screenshotFrom Speccy, the last slot shows "In Use" with 4 Data Lanes, PCI-E x4, (currently I have my Plextor M6E in the M.2 slot however BIOS and Device Management isn't seeing it).  I uninstalled and it's still there saying "In Use", not sure what device that is now.  

2. I looked at the BIOS files for download under previous versions and it goes back to F.11 which it states is the initial release and everything after are updates.  For the other variants, it starts from F.16.

Let me know what you think.

HP Recommended

@ClaudEtteson

It takes a while for the pictures to show up on the board, but they do eventually. The storage controller on the M7-n109dx is SATA, and that includes the M.2 port. I'm not sure what you're trying to reference with the PCI-Ex4?

I also looked into all the previous versions of the BIOS's, and tried them. If you look at the accompanying information file, it shows which BIOS precedes it; which it looks like you found.

After some pondering, I thought of something that I think is noteworthy. The M7-n109dx comes with the 80E6 mainboard; which has a disabled M.2 port onboard. Since the port is physically present on the mainboard, I think it is safe to say that the 80E6 mainboard is used in other models. Therefore, I'm about 80% sure we could get the M.2 port working on an M7-n109dx if we could get our hands on a full bios dump of a notebook with an 80E6 mainboard that has a functional M.2 port. Now if we could only find somebody that has one!

HP Recommended

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxaPdOVZqbSYQlh2am9wZVo0Zzg

There's the link to the pic I was referring to, and in regards to your second comment, I saw on another forum someone was trying to get in contact with you to give you that info

HP Recommended

Got the pic... PCI express... the M.2 port is only SATA3.

I think I remember what forum you're refering to. Someone did post a link to their BIOS, but it was for a different mainboard; 80E9 I believe--one digit off!

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.