Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Laptop CN0012DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a new HP ENVY x360 Laptop CN0012DX.  By default, it came equip with a 256GB M.2 drive.  Upon opening the casing, I see the space to install a 2.5" drive and a connector which reads "HDD1" next to it:

IMG_20190301_144759.jpg

IMG_20190301_144855.jpg

I'm not sure if the form-factor of this laptop was borrowed from older models which used 2.5" drives and the gap is now just empty space, but the fact that there's a separate cable input on the motherboard reading "HDD1" gives me hope I can still add a secondary drive.  I have no idea what that connector type is called and I question whether that's even big enough to provide both power and the ability to transfer data on such a small component, but hopeully I'm wrong!

Could anyone with more hardware knowledge please enlighten me on what that connector is?  I count 12 pins there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes you can put a 2.5 inch disk in there but you need a connector with a cable that connects and the rubber sleeve to protect the hard drive. The little connector is called a zif (zero insertion force) connection. 

(5b) Hard drive rubber sleeve L21894-001
(5c) Hard drive cable L20103-001

Pages 32 and 33 of the Service Manual here:

Manual

These parts are not easy to find but post back if you wish to proceed and we can usually hunt them down for you. 

If this is the information you need, please accept as solution. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Yes you can put a 2.5 inch disk in there but you need a connector with a cable that connects and the rubber sleeve to protect the hard drive. The little connector is called a zif (zero insertion force) connection. 

(5b) Hard drive rubber sleeve L21894-001
(5c) Hard drive cable L20103-001

Pages 32 and 33 of the Service Manual here:

Manual

These parts are not easy to find but post back if you wish to proceed and we can usually hunt them down for you. 

If this is the information you need, please accept as solution. 

HP Recommended

Great!  Thank you so much for providing that information.  I'm very pleased to hear that.

I will be proceeding with trying to hunt those parts down.  Do you have any recommendations for sites I might be able to find them on?

HP Recommended

Welp, I'm ashamed my precursory search to find this answer didn't lead me to this sooner, but in case anyone else comes across this and wants more information, here is another thread about this same topic for this same model laptop which includes more information:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/add-a-second-hard-drive-to-15m...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.