Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Adding a SATA Drive to a 17z (5NV50AV_1)

HP Recommended
17z - 5NV50AV_1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I just ordered this laptop with only the base 256gb SSD with the intention of adding my own SATA drive for additional storage.  I found this previous question about a similar laptop:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Adding-Storage-Capacity-to-HP-...

Is that solution also applicable to my laptop?  For instance, is that the caddy and cable that I need?  

Am I also limited to a 7mm thick drive?  Is there any other limitation on the drive (faster than 5400 RPM, more than 2 TB, etc)?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
84,723 84,610 10,700 22,935
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Bigfieroman 

It has option to add 1TB of HDD for $130 and you did not ppick the option

opt.png

Now you have to buy HDD, cable, bracket and this would cost more plus labor cost. I can't get its series to be able to work out which parts you need. Please come back in 3 months time when we have a clearer picture.

Mots likely the thickness is 7mm but you need parts for HDD cable and bracket.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I chose not to get the hard drive already installed in the computer because it isn't a good deal. 

In the thread that I linked, the parts for that 17z laptop are about $30 (caddy/cable).  and here is a link for a 2TB drive that will fit fine and is $80: https://smile.amazon.com/Blue-2TB-Mobile-Hard-Drive/dp/B079BQS5WQ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=sata+...

I have the tools and skills to install it myself.  So for $110 I will have 2TB vs. 1TB for $130 from HP.  If a higher capacity drive will work in this laptop, I could have 4TB for $170, I just need to know what the motherboard can handle and if I need the same parts as the other 17z.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, to answer my own questions, everything from this thread is applicable and correct:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Adding-Storage-Capacity-to-HP-...

That is the correct manual, HDD caddy, and cable as confirmed by the HP rep from which I purchased the laptop.  

It needs to be a 2.5" 7mm thick drive, and drives that size go up to 2 TB/5400 RPM.  The biggest 7200 RPM HDD I could find was only 1 TB.  All of the parts came to just under $110 with a 2TB/5400 RPM Western Digital Blue series SATA drive and it took me about 20 minutes to install.  Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation