Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Intern
Intern
26 0 2
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After Win10 1st Anniversary Upgrade Install, No F6 Sound Mute Light or Beats Audio Control Panel...

ENVY Touch 15t-j100 (F5G56AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I saw the other thread about the missing Beats Audio Control Panel, but I also have one other problem in addition to that. The light on the mute function key, F6, no longer works.  When I press it, it will mute the sound, but the light does not go on.  I getthe display confirmation "X" showing that the sound has been muted when pressed, but the light does nothing. So, I don't know if the sound is muted or not without pressing the F6 button or adjusting the sound with the F7/F8 keys.  As a note, my F12 does show the two different colors for whether or not the notebook is in airplane mode, so it's limited to the F6 audio key.

I followed the instructions for getting the Beats Audio Control Panel back, but I did not have any luck by deleting and letting it reinstall my audio driver.  I also did the step of downloading and installing the chipset driver.  No difference came from either.

My sound overall seems fine from the speakers, but I know I'm not getting the benefit of the Beats Audio Control Panel. I also have a mute light that no longer works.  Both were just fine before installing the Win10 1st Anniversary Update.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the F6 mute light back and also any additional steps to try in order to get the Beats Audio Control panel back?  I'm more concerned and interested in getting my F6 mute light back nd working.  The Beats Audio isn't a critical issue to me, but I wanted to mention it.  I'd really appreciate the help.  I'm just glad I have decent sound that is good enough for online training still.  This could be a total nightmare otherwise.  I just want my mute light back and would really like the Beats Control Panel working again.

8 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After Win10 1st Anniversary Upgrade Install, No F6 Sound Mute Light or Beats Audio Control Panel...

Hi @Sulley,

Welcome to HP Support forums.

Seems like the Keyboard driver was overwritten by the update and used a generic driver for the keyboard.

Reinstalling the keyboard driver will surely fix the issue.

Please share the model number of the PC to find the correct driver for the keyboard.

Let me know for more.

Resolv_S
Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
26 0 2
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello!

The Stajdard PS/2 Keyboard Driver is installed.  It is the one authored by Microsoft, not HP or some other company.

I looked for drivers for my notebook and could not find a keyboard driver at al (or another that seemed it might include the keyboard).  

My product info was included in the header of the original message, but here it is again.  Mty notebook is a HP ENVY TS 15 Notebook PC.  The product number is F5G56AV.  I did try just uninstalling the keyboard driver, but of course, when the computer rebooted, it jut installed the same one again.  Since I can't find a driver for my keyboard, nothing will change there.  I also don't understand why the Beats Audio Control Panel is now missing.  In another thread about the Win 10 1st Annivesary Update, another person reported that problem.  That is what led me to reinstall the sound card and chipset drivers.  The Beats Audio Control Panel is stil missing, but the bigger problem to me is the missing mute light on the keyboard.  

Can you provide a link to the driver for my notebook's keyboard and instructions on how to install it?  I want to be sure I do it correctly although I am technically competent (A+ Certified).

I would be really grateful for a link to the keyboard driver specific to my notebook since I can't find one.  I would think thhat would be covered by something like the chipset or BIOS, but I have already reinstalled the chipset driver after downloading it.  There was no improvement.  Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Sulley,

Thanks for the reply.

I will provide the link of the product page form HP, where you can download all the relevant drivers for your product.

I would also recommend using the “HP Support Assistant” for any updates of software, drivers and much more.

http://hp.care/2cYMAUB

Let me know for more.

Resolv_S

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
26 0 2
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello!

Thanks for your help.  I've been on that page before (it's where I have bookmarked for my notebook drivers and utliity downloads), but still do NOT see keyboard drivers, even under the "Driver-Keyboard, Mouse, and Input Devices" section.  

Which driver should I be installing from the list on the page?  I'm obviously just missing something here, but I went through the entire list of all drivers and utilities and none appeared to have anything to do with the keyboard.  

Can you please tell me which driver to download and install?  I would really appreciate it.  Like I said, I've already installed the drivers for the sound card and the chipset.  Thank you again very much for your help with this problem!  I'm grateful.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Sulley,

Thanks for the reply.

Try doing a system restore and check if that helps. Follow the below steps for system restore on your PC.

• Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
  • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
  • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
  • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish

Let me know how it goes.

Resolv_S

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
26 0 2
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello!

Thanks for the help, but how is this going to get me my driver.  Unless I go to a restore point before the installation of the 1st Annivesary Update, nothing will be different.  The problem happened right after bootup when the update was installed, so it ad to be the cause.  

Isn't there a driver that is responsible for the F6 mute light?  The F12 Airplane mode light still works just fine, but just not the mute one located on F6.  

I also mentioned that he Beats Audio Control Panel has disappeared from my task bar after the update.  

All of the function keys do what they should, but the light is the only problem on the F6 key.  This sounds like a chipset or BIOS issie.  And why isn[t there a keyboard driver for my notebook if that is required tomake that light work?

I'm not doing a restore unless I know why I should.  A keyboard driver made sense to me.  But, I'm sorry, doing ta system restore doesn't make sense to me at all.  Windows will eventually put the 1st Annivesary Update on my system, so I'll have to take it.  I guess I'll be living without a mute light on my F6 key.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas.  I appreciate your help, butthis does not make sense to do.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 178 334
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try the step below and uninstall the keyboard driver and restart the PC and check if that helps.

• Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.
  • Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.
  • On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process
  • When uninstallation process is complete, Restart the device.
  • Note: Don’t check the box which prompts for deletion of the driver. Ignore the option the confirmation screen.

Let me know how that goes.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
26 0 2
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for all of your help, but I've done the steps you ask for here already.  One of the first things I did was download and resintall both the sound card and chipset drivers.  No difference.  This I did because another thread was about a user having lost their Beats Audio Control Panel form the taskbar.  I've got that issue also.

Then, at your request, I did exactly what you're telling me to do now -- delete the keyboard driver and reboot (letting Windows install the keyboard driver for me).  I'm not sure what keyboard driver was installed prior to installing the Win10 1st Anniversary Update, but ever since then, it's been using the Standard PS/2 Keyboard Driver made by Microsoft.  If I delete it and let Windows reboot, it reinstalls the same driver.  No help at all.

Is ther anyone else that you can go to in order get help with this?  I've tried all of the normal ideas and since there isn't a keyboard driver specific for my notebook, I've also downloaded and installed current sound card and chipset drivers as mentioned.  I'm out of warranty by about 6 months or so and I don't have the money to just pay for a SupportPack.  

Can you possibly ask for assistance that I know is available from people in your company that deal with customers that aren't happy when things go wrong (even outside of their warranty period).  My next step is to complain to the CEO and then I'll get a response.  I've had to do it before with my last HP notebook when things went wrong with a chipset and Apple's newest iPhone at the time making it impossible to sync the two devices.  

I just want a working mute light on my keyboard and my Beats Sound Control Panel back.  We're just going in circles now with ideas you are giving me.  Please don't misunderstand.  I appreciate your help, but I need a resolution.  I have done most of the things you suggested (excluding a restore from a previous restore point and I assumed you meant before I installed the Win10 1st Annivesary Update) and some of your ideas weren't possible to do (like download my keyboard driver from HP because my notebook doesn't have a specific keyboard driver available) and we're back to the keyboard driver.  

I'm getting used to not having my mute light on the keyboard, but I'd like it back and I would also like my Beats Audio Control Panel working again because that has caused some sound files to sound incorrectly.  

Please let me know if you can help futher or I will just go into complain mode and get help that way.  I can't believe no one else is having this issue after the Win10 1st Anniversary Update.  I know it's caused many issues for numerous people.  I'm reading about them daily as Microsoft pushes out the update to more consumers.  I'm grateful it's just a keyboard light and a minor sound issue, but it still should be fixable or if not, HP needs to be looking into the cause.  My notebook is not that old!

Thank you again for your help!  I appreciate it!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation