Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 (M1V68UA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This post is an explanation of a complete failure of the Notebook's USB ports (3.0 & 2.0) and the subsequent fix.

Suspecting a hardware failure, I ran the UEFI Diagnostics and received confirmation of a failure by a 27 character Failure ID.  This type of information is supposedly helpful to someone, but I couldn't find any documentation on this failure code on the Web, and the HP Customer Support technician never gave me an explanation.  The Failure ID I received was:

0GF87X-7NW88A-GXGJMF-8D3Q03

I made arrangements to ship the Notebook back to HP Repair, but while waiting to receive their shipping box, I continued to research.  I happened to run iolo's System Mechanic and noticed a Tool "Toolbox | Recover | System Troubleshooter" that took me to Window 10's Troubleshooter suite.  I ran the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and a problem with the USB ports was confirmed.  But, surprisingly the fix was to install the latest driver for the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller (USBXHCI.SYS).

Once the driver was re-installed, the USB port problem was resolved.  It has been working the past 3 days and I have been able to backup my Notebook to an external hard drive on a USB port, as I usually do.

So if you see any issue with your USB ports, that may look like a hardware failure, it is worth running Window's Hardware & Device troubleshooter.  It may save you an unnecessary repair job.

Regards, Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mike_d177

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 
For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you had performed a hardware test using the UEFI diagnostic tool and received a failure ID, however, you installed the latest driver and resolved the issue,

I'm glad that worked out for you, although the keep you informed, the failure ID you have captured represents a device "Communications error" on devices such as GPS, HUB, Modem, Network Card, Network Drive, PCI Card, PCMCIA, Switch and/or  USB.

Installing the latest driver is one of the first steps suggested to resolve the communication error, however, if the issue is intermittent as it at times a repair would be the best way to go.

Click here for the details about the HP Service center.

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Have a good day, Ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@mike_d177

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 
For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you had performed a hardware test using the UEFI diagnostic tool and received a failure ID, however, you installed the latest driver and resolved the issue,

I'm glad that worked out for you, although the keep you informed, the failure ID you have captured represents a device "Communications error" on devices such as GPS, HUB, Modem, Network Card, Network Drive, PCI Card, PCMCIA, Switch and/or  USB.

Installing the latest driver is one of the first steps suggested to resolve the communication error, however, if the issue is intermittent as it at times a repair would be the best way to go.

Click here for the details about the HP Service center.

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Have a good day, Ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.