Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook Folio 1040 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I recently bought two EliteBook Folio 1040 G2 and now I wish I hadn't. As soon as the CPU load is over ~25%, the fan starts to spin and makes a very annoying, high sound. As soon as the CPU Load is under ~25%, the fan stops.

This results in a even more annoying pattern: When I start windows, the fan starts to blow and then becomes silent after a few seconds. Then I start the Webbrowser, the fan starts again an becomes silent again. Then, at random times the fan starts to make noise for a few seconds and stops again. This on-off-pattern is even more annoying than the fan noise itself.

I already updated every single piece of firmware on the laptop through HP Support Assistant (also the firmware), followed the "fan noise guide", and even installed Windows 10 on one laptop in desperate hope. No Luck.

I use the laptops in a completly normal environment round 20°C.

I mean I can't be the only one with this problem, I bought two laptops and both have the identical problems.

So, anybody got any idea about what I can do? Maybe some setting to tweak? A threshold to override?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I also have this same noise issue with the 1040 G2 when connected to the 2013 docking station. Note that I am driving 2 monitors through the display ports on the dock. The description above is very accurate for the noise. The increase and decrease in fan speed is very annoying. Does anyone have a recommendation.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I second frickman's very detailed account of the problem. I, too, have the same issue. It is quite puzzling to see that HP has not answered in three months. I would very much like the HP support team to get in touch. My laptop is brand new, and it is making erratic fan noises which really ruin everything. Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

I`ve just bought an elitebook 850 g2. The same problem appears om this unit. I replaced the first one. My second one is just like. The fan is working quite loud on low pressure.

So what to do next. The unit its a high end expencive product, and shouldnt make this kind of fannoise. Its intel 7 inside.

Hope HP can answer.

Think I have to get my money back.

HP Recommended

Hey Frickman,

I was wondering if you found a solution for the annoying fannoise issues on your hp elitebook 1040 g2?

It's June 2017 now and my 1040 has still the same issue but I can't find a solution for this issue on the web.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Same issue here, the 1040 is the new president's Laptop ... suffice to say that I can't give him the blank look and ignore his complaint 🙂 ...

I'll place a service call on the laptop *sigh*

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.