Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Zbook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi

I don't know if I'm putting this in the right place.

A few days ago my laptop was stolen. I had just done a factory reset and all my data was on an external harddrive so luckily I didn't lose any data. But this laptop was only 1 year old and cost around 2000 dollars so I really want it back.
Find my device wasn't enabled unfortunately.
Is there any way I can find my laptop?
I went to the police and they said they can track my laptop using the serial number. Once the thief connects to the internet they can track my laptop.
I had the feeling he was just trying to reassure me.
Is this true and if it is. Can I try to find it myself using the serial number?
Or maybe via the HP support assistant?

Thank you in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unfortunately not. Few ways to possibly do it- though as they mention here there is a good possibilty you will never see your laptop again.

https://lifehacker.com/5987302/can-i-track-my-laptop-or-smartphone-after-its-been-stolen

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I don't know of any way to track a laptop by serial number- unless it is found in a pawn shop or elsewhere to physically match the number. The only way to track a laptop is having tracking software on it such as LoJack. When Lojack is activated and registered on their site they can track it when it comes online and notify of location.

HP Recommended
Hi

Thank you for your response. There wasn't any tracking software installed unfortunately.
So it isn't possible to track my laptop with the serial number?
HP Recommended

Unfortunately not. Few ways to possibly do it- though as they mention here there is a good possibilty you will never see your laptop again.

https://lifehacker.com/5987302/can-i-track-my-laptop-or-smartphone-after-its-been-stolen

HP Recommended
I'll keep hoping I'll get it back somehow. Thank you for your help.
HP Recommended

@BrandonBB

You very welcome-wish it could have been better news. So sorry this happened. I hope you get it back!

HP Recommended
Thank you. I really hope so as well!
HP Recommended

HI!

REF: LOST LAPTOP

I lost my lap top last week when thieves open my car and remove. my laptop in the HP LAPTOP 15-bs091ms, [serial number removed per Rules Of Participation]   , PRODUCT NUMBER:2UE58UA. AN EXPERT FROM MICROSOFT TOLD ME THAT IT POSSIBLE TO TRACE MY LAPTOP IF THE HP PROVIDES ME WITH THE MAC (MEDIA ACCESS CONTROL) NUMBER OF MY LAPTOP TO BE SEND TO THE CYBER DEPARTMENT. I HAVE REQUESTED THE MAC NUMBER FROM HP AS PER ADVISE BUT UP TO NOW I HAVE RECEIVED ANY RESPONSE. IS THIS POSSIBLE? I HAVE ALREADY REPORTED THE CASE TO THE POLICE.

YOUR RESPONSE WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

ELIJAH.

REGARDS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.