Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17t touch optional
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Are both slots accessible on the HP Laptop - 17t touch optional? It has 1 x 4 GB and 1 x 8 GB. 

I was surprised that they are two sticks of different size. Thought they had to match. 

I would like to add a 1 x 8 GB by removing the 1 x 4 GB

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BobSevertski I went through the details and here's all you need to know about memory upgrade:

(I'm afraid the memory slots are defined as Non-Customer accessible/Non upgradeable)

If you wish to proceed with the replacement either way, you may do so, at your own discretion, and steps are mentioned on page. 40 Chapter 6 Removal and replacement procedures for Authorized Service Provider parts: Click here to access the service and maintenance guide.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Still hoping for some answers to my questions.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

@BobSevertski
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• What is the exact product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).
  • Are you trying to upgrade the system RAM?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  I have ordered the 7GZ70AV  or is it - 17t-by200 CTO

. Hope that is what you seek.

Yes, I would like to upgrade the ram.  As mentioned I though it odd that it had 1 x 4 GB and  1 x 8 GB ram modules. 

I always thought that they should match in size.

So can the  1 x 4 be accessed so it could be upgraded?

HP Recommended

@BobSevertski I went through the details and here's all you need to know about memory upgrade:

(I'm afraid the memory slots are defined as Non-Customer accessible/Non upgradeable)

If you wish to proceed with the replacement either way, you may do so, at your own discretion, and steps are mentioned on page. 40 Chapter 6 Removal and replacement procedures for Authorized Service Provider parts: Click here to access the service and maintenance guide.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I finally was able to find a manual that shows the process earlier today. Yes, it would not be a fun project to do but if need I am pretty sure I can follow the directions given. I will wait to see how it operates without doing an upgrade for now. It is coming with DDR4 2666 SDRAM or so the specs of the order say. 

HP Recommended

@BobSevertski Fair enough, please take your time in observing the device without the upgrade and get back to us if you need anything else,

Also, here's an article from Microsoft that helps with improving system performance without adding ram: click here

And an HP troubleshooter guide to help you as well: click here

Good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kind of would like an answer to the second part of my original question. As to the asymmetry of the two memory sticks installed. One being 4 GB and the other being 8 GB.   They don't have to be the same size anymore?  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.