Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ProBook 470 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thank you for reading this thread.

I am considering the following two laptops:

I would like to know wheter they are upgradable-friendly in terms of storage. Specifically, my questions are:

1. Both laptops come with PCIe NVMe SSD storage. Is there space inside to add an aditional SATA HDD?
  2. Where can I find more technical information other than the brief description on the product page?

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Amazingly upgrade friendly. Here is the Service Manual for the 450 G5. 

Manual

See page 43 for a good picture. You have a 2.5 inch hard drive bay and an M.2 slot compatible with NVME disks right next to each other under an easy access panel. Don't get much easier than that. See p. 25. If you want to add a 2.5 inch hard drive you will need to get the cover piece which locks the hard drive in the bay. 

The 470 G5 has exactly the same setup. Same images used in the Service manual for that model.

More questions? Just post back.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Amazingly upgrade friendly. Here is the Service Manual for the 450 G5. 

Manual

See page 43 for a good picture. You have a 2.5 inch hard drive bay and an M.2 slot compatible with NVME disks right next to each other under an easy access panel. Don't get much easier than that. See p. 25. If you want to add a 2.5 inch hard drive you will need to get the cover piece which locks the hard drive in the bay. 

The 470 G5 has exactly the same setup. Same images used in the Service manual for that model.

More questions? Just post back.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Extremly useful, thank you a lot.

P.S. It's the first time I see this kind of manual. Great thing to know about! Kudos!

HP Recommended

Where can I get the hard drive cover for the Probook 450 G5 (2ST09UT#ABA)?

HP Recommended

You need this part:

Hard Drive Hardware Kit L00836-001

On backorder with HP:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=879DC0D58A5F498BB220E543F0BF63B6&SearchIn=P...

Where do you live? Finding it for sale in EU and AUS but not in the USA. 

HP Recommended

Hm. Why not for sale in USA, any ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

One question in addition to these answered so far - Does the device support a 2.5 inch SATA SSD instead of a Hard drive?

While I assume plugging it in wouldnt be an issue - is there any way to check whether the connector technology is adequate to fully exploit SSD transfer speeds?  e.g. I wouldnt want to plug in an ssd which is going to be as fast as a hard drive (apologies for the  extremely roughly stated question).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Fully compatible with 2.5 inch SSD in the hard drive bay. The interface is SATA-3 which provides all the bandwidth needed to fully exploit the speed of the SSD. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

An additional question, I would appreciate confirmation for:

Is the motherboard on this PC able to support 2TB Hard Drive (as long as it fits the specs-2.5inch/SATA/7mm)?

I thought there should be no issues with a 2TB HDD (or higher storage size for what that matters), but I rang HP Australia Tech Support this morning and I was informed that Probook 450 G5 can take an HDD of maximum 1TB size (while I do feel they are wrong, they are the official tech support team so I would need someone knolwledgeable to clarify).

Thanks once again for your time!

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Is ProBook 450 G5 compatible with PCIe x2 ? I am interested in upgrading my free m2 slot to " SSD Kingston A1000 240GB PCI Express 3.0 x2 M.2 2280 ". Will it work properly?

Link: https://www.pcgarage.ro/ssd/kingston/a1000-240gb-pci-express-30-x2-m2-2280/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.