Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
device type and licensing information
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OSType64BitX64

[edit]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@LordoftheRealm 

That's not long enough or complex enough to be a model number.

Those are printed on stickers attached to the PC.  On laptops, these may be on the back or they may also be inside the battery comparment.

Here is an example of such stickers:

HP Svce Labels-2.jpg

Problem is, without access to the stickers or to the PC to run some apps, you are stuck with product purchase documentation.

If the owner registered their PC with HP, then Customer Support should have a record of that information.

If they did not, then you are out of luck.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@LordoftheRealm 

By "type of device", you mean the model number? Depending on where and how you bought it, that information should be on a receipt or purchase order -- but you would have those, not us.

In terms of licensing info, HP PCs come with OEM licenses. IF you want to know if it came with Home or Pro, you would need the model number for that.

HP Recommended

WAWood,  Thanks for that info.

Does a value of 81EM seem like a possible model number?  I am trying to help someone that is just a user and has no concept of such things.    I will say this community setup is a nice thing!  I spent an hour+ yesterday attempting to use the HP support process to send them an email, frustrating as heck.     Hope you and your family are well in this crazy time,  Tom

HP Recommended

@LordoftheRealm 

That's not long enough or complex enough to be a model number.

Those are printed on stickers attached to the PC.  On laptops, these may be on the back or they may also be inside the battery comparment.

Here is an example of such stickers:

HP Svce Labels-2.jpg

Problem is, without access to the stickers or to the PC to run some apps, you are stuck with product purchase documentation.

If the owner registered their PC with HP, then Customer Support should have a record of that information.

If they did not, then you are out of luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.