Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14-cd1000 x360 Convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I bought this laptop just over a year ago. I have been taking care of the battery every time I used this laptop. However, in the past 4 months, when I would open my laptop,  my battery would shut down even if I remember that the last time I used had a reasonable amount of charge. Once I plug the cable and open it up again , it would say that it had 0%, which is not true.

Despite taking the upmost care of the battery , after just a year, the full capacity charge is now just 58%. What really pains me is that yesterday the full capacity charge was 66%. Most of the time I would charge the laptop from 20% to 80%. I have always kept the laptop in a well ventilated area. I am going to university this year, and I bought this laptop with the belief that I wouldn't have to service it for 6-7 years, like my previous laptop.

Is this the punishment I get for taking the most care of my laptop?

How can the full capacity charge be 58% ?

Please help me ASAP. 

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JEFF142 

It is not punishment when a battery no longer works as expected.

Battery typically lasts as long as warranted, sometimes longer, sometimes not that long...

Options

• Battery seems “stuck” in a particular charge setting   

The battery might be OK and just need calibration (balance / set).

HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows)

Run Component Tests – How to

TKB Article contributed by HP Wes_notebooks 

Clear and easy to understand "how-to" instructions for completing component testing

Testing for Hardware Failures

TKB Article contributed by HP Expert Erico

What is going on with the battery installed in my computer?

Battery Report and other solutions

Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?

Replacement...

Open

Maintenance and Service Guide

Part and Replacement procedure - Page 35

Description                                                                  Spare part number

3-cell, 41-WHr, 3.6-AHr, Li-ion battery                      920070-856

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Reference

HP Collection of “how-to” videos

HP Video Gallery

• Use Categories and / or enter your request in the search bar to narrow the search. 

Examples,

Select Category Computing and Mobile Devices > Battery and Power

Select Category Computing and Mobile Devices > Parts Replacement and Upgrades

Search for replace battery or replace battery x360

Select and watch your Video

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find / Check for parts at PartSurfer / HP Parts Store

PartSurfer might be able to tell you exactly which parts came with your device.

Open PartSurfer

• Select your Country
  • Enter the device Product Number , Serial Number, or Part Number in the Quick Search box
  • HINT: To see a system-specific list, replace the Product Number with your device Serial Number
  • Items accompanied by a tiny box in the Add-to-Cart column are available for purchase

Parts marked as "n/a" are not available from HP.

Parts marked as available for purchase might be available from:  HP Parts Store

OR

If HP does not provide the part for retail purchase,

Use your search engine to find a compatible replacement at your favorite online store.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts / Procedures), Product Information (Specifications)...

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Pavilion 14-cd1000 x360 Convertible PC 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice, Dragon-fur.

The thing is that I don’t understand is that how can the full battery charge capacity drop by 8% in one day ?

How’s that possible?

I really appreciated your advice.

HP Recommended

@JEFF142 

You are welcome.

If the battery is failing or weak, it can lose charge.

How fast?

I cannot answer the question to your satisfaction.

You might be able to glean some additional information from the Battery Report (previous post TKB article).

If you believe there is hope for your old battery, try calibrating it.  That said, if the battery is actually on it way to failing, calibration won't work - I have no idea whether it would make things worse.

What else?

The following will NOT fix a weak and failing battery.

It does fix one type of issue, that of the Driver having "stuck" after a Windows Update

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Driver

NOTE:  Symptoms might show up after Microsoft Updates has run on the computer.

Method – Reload the ACPI Driver

Symptoms:  Battery stops charging – no known issues with battery or charger – Windows 7 through 10

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager > Open Batteries > Right-ClickMicrosoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" > Uninstall > tab Action > Check for hardware changes (reinstalls the driver)

What else?

Were it me, I'd order a replacement battery and be prepared to replace the old battery.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.