Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
PRESARIO C768TU NOTEBOOK (C700 SERIES)
Microsoft Windows XP

Hello Folks,

Firstly, may you all have a very prosperous and Happy New Year!

My issue is, an older person and used to the OS, I'm trying to keep Windows XP SP3 for as long as possible!

I've found an update to an unofficial SP4 which seems to work pretty well.

However, I have 2 very old C700 series laptops, which look identical, however their Compliance Labels are different.

This is the one I'm currently using, which is a Presario C719TU and the other is a Presario C768TU.

Both keep freezing by running very slow especially while searching the internet with more than 2 tabs open, even with disabling unnecessary programs etc.  I've even found suitable browsers, anti-virus etc that only use little resources!

My problem is I can only fit 2 gb (2x 1gb (PC-2 5300 DDR Ram sticks), however I only have 1x1gb and 1x 500mb.

Is there an update or Bios upgrade which will enable increasing my ram to say 2 x 2Gb PC-2 5300 DDR Ram or better?

I'm sorry for all the info, but thought it may be useful and save some time etc?

Kind Regards and Many Thanks.....  Pete

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi, Pete:

Happy New Year to you too!

HP retired support for that model series since it is more than 10 years old, so there is no BIOS update history available to show what fixes or enhancements were included in previous BIOS updates.

Here is the link to the service manual for the model series...chapter 1 indicates the max memory is 2 x 1 GB.

c01301275.pdf (hp.com)

Looking at the chipset specs for the motherboard the C768TU has, it only supports a max of 2 GB of memory according to Intel.

Intel® 82GL960 Graphics and Memory Controller Product Specifications

The motherboard for the C719TU does not list what chipset it has, but it is definitely no better than what the C768TU has.

I have provided the info and exe file links to the last BIOS update HP released for the C700 model series with the Intel processors below...

The update was designed to be run using Windows Vista, so I have no idea what would happen if you tried to run it in XP.

F.35 - April 9, 2010

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48079.html

Exe:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48079.exe

I doubt that updating the BIOS' on either model would allow for the use of 2 x 2 GB of memory.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.