Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Looking for some guidance in procedure to upgrade the SSD in my Envy 17t.

System would only come with a 500 GB SSD, and I need more room. I have my HP Restore USB thumb drive done from when I got the system and I've got a Norton full backup and am in the process of doing a Windows backup of the C:\ drive to an external USB drive.

Since there isn't anything in the manual to cover this...I'm assuming once I replace the SSD then I boot to the thumb drive and restore back to factory, then restore system from the backup?

It's a little more complicated with SSD's...with SATA drives I used to just get an external USB for it, upgrade the drive and I had all my data still available to copy across. This time it isn't that way...

Just a little nervous with a new process...some guidance would help ease the worry...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am not familiar with Norton but if it can do cloning along with the full backup - that would be ideal.  however the method you described should work, just more steps.

Depending on the SSD manufacturer, they might even offer cloning software from their support site.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I am not familiar with Norton but if it can do cloning along with the full backup - that would be ideal.  however the method you described should work, just more steps.

Depending on the SSD manufacturer, they might even offer cloning software from their support site.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The cloning software needs both drive online to work. Since this is an M.2 drive...that's difficult to do with only a single slot.

On the flip side I've found an M.2 > USB 3.0 enclosure, so I can then use my old 500 GB drive as a USB external drive to expand storage if needed and it's a heck of a lot smaller than most external drives.

Thanks for the direction...I'm going to pick up the enclosure now.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I had not considered it might be a M.2 drive but the enclosure is good to know about.  Thanks for sharing.

Let us know if the M.2 enclosure works as intended.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

It works like a champ! Now I have a VERY small external drive to carry around!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.