Intern
Intern
12 0 10
Message 1 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery Drains While Shut Down (Spectre x360 Late 2016)

Didn't know where to post this so this was my alternative. I bought my Spectre x360 about two days ago brand new. It seems like a lot of people have the same problem as I do. While the computer is shut down (not hibernating, not sleeping), I will lose about 5-6% every eight hours while off. Battery does not lose charge THAT quickly. I've run the battery health check and everything is okay. I would assume so since this laptop is brand new. Why will HP not take responsibility over this issue? Every single thread I've been in, offer no real solution for this. I will end up returning this product if there is no solution and I hope those who have the same issue do too. When you pay 1,500 dollars for a laptop, you have high expectations for the product so why does this type of issue exist?

Upvote so HP knows that they have a problem on their hands or they'll end up sweeping this under the carpet again. Hold them accountable.

Tags (1)
30 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17559 1149 1853
Message 2 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Ydan13,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you.

As I understand the laptops battery is discharging while it's in a shutdown state and you need assistance in resolving this concern, I have a few suggestions for you,

You will need to Understand Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology: Click here for details

Checking the Status of the Battery using the HP Battery Check it’s a utility in HP Support Assistant that provides a simple but accurate test results for the battery.

The maximum capacity of all batteries decreases with time and use. Loss of battery capacity varies with product configuration and usage, including but not limited to product model, applications running, power management settings, and product features. The battery warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship that result in failure; it does not cover natural deterioration of battery capacity. To determine if a battery has had a warranted failure, you may need to run additional diagnostics.

To get the latest version of the HP Battery Check, download and install HP Support Assistant

Remember that each time a battery is discharged and recharged, its useful life is shortened. To maximize battery life, charge it fully, and then remove it from the notebook while using AC power. Only use the battery when AC power is not available, and store the battery in a cool, dry place between uses - For FAQ's click here

Calibrating the Notebook Battery

Re-install the battery drivers

If the issue persists, you will need to either contact HP phone support by clicking here.

Or using this link to know about Purchasing a Replacement Battery

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.

If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.

Both icons are below this post.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Dean Dean
Dean
8256 746 2317
Message 3 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Ydan,

The Spectre's have been rather snake bit with this issue. I had one also that did the same thing. No calibrating or turning off Hybernation did anything. There are few long threads of others having the same thing. I was losing 10% per day.

I ended up returning if for a warranty issue. I have not heard as to what was the causing factor.

I recieved a replacement that has not shown the battery drain issue now and works great.

Using a Spectre X360 13in.

I would contact Support directly asap.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

Choose the country you are in.

Choose Support, then choose For home.
Enter the full product number and follow the prompts.

Hope that helps.

Intern
Intern
12 0 10
Message 4 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank you for your response. I will be exchanging this system at best buy today! Hopefully the problem goes away. I've been looking around for solutions to this issue but one that I have not tried yet is rolling back the Intel Management Engine Interface driver to Version 9 or 10.

0 Kudos
mAlan22 Tutor
Tutor
14 0 2
Message 5 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same exact symptoms for me...  Waiting to see if any resolution is identified here...

Intern
Intern
17 0 9
Message 6 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Me too. Noticed excessive battery drain while in sleep mode and while fully shut down. HP needs to address the issue asap!

Intern
Intern
21 0 4
Message 7 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am suffering with the same issue and so is all HP spectre x360 kabylake customers. I am following up on this thread below,

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Battery-drain-when-shut-down-H...

Cheers

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
12 0 10
Message 8 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you! We could always file a consumer report and take the legal approach...

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
12 0 10
Message 9 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Also, there is also a known problem with the Intel Management Engine Interface. Windows Users with version 10 or 11 seem to have the same issue but when they rolled that driver back to 9.xxxx, it seemed to solve their issue with battery drainage after shut down. Problem is, the newer laptops cant roll back to 9.xx so we're stuck with 11.xxx. I'm not sure if this is corellated or not but it is an alternative that we may try if HP releases an update 9.xxxx for our new laptops.

Intern
Intern
21 0 4
Message 10 of 31
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Guys

I don't want to declare prematurely but i couldn't hold the excitement and also thought may be all who has the battery drain issue can try this as well in the meantime.

In the last 4hrs i haven't seen any battery drain while shutdown! but i will need to try a 24hrs and a 48hrs test to confirm if this permanently fixes the issue or just reduces the drain while shutdown.

Based on the last 4hrs observations, no drain - the following needs to be done

1. Update your BIOS to F10 version - make sure this is properly updated

2. Reboot your system and hit the ESC key repeatedly to get to the boot menu, and choose BIOS setup

3. Set the option USB powered on when shutdown to 'disabled'

4. Save and Exit

That's it!

This proved dodgy on older BIOS version, but seems to work with latest BIOS version F10.

Keep your observations posted, i will too. 4hrs successful, will update in more than 24 hrs again.

Good luck!

Cheers

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation