Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp notebook 81eb
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Dear Forum,

Its been a while since I was planning to approach the forum to one of my problems with HP laptop, hence I will not be able to exactly tell the date the problem started.

During one of the recent updates for HP Notebook, I happened to come across the following.

- The charging icon on bottom right of the screen would go on and off though the power chord was on with ups backup - quite peculiar situation.

- Whilst watching movies or working on just word document with no other services running in the background would switch off automatically without warning even when the battery would be 50 - 60% full; further, when the same is restarted again without power cord , would start and automatically shut down within 3 / 2 minutes of start. 

Actions taken by me.

- removed battery and dusted it and checked for any battery points damage - No deviations observed

- searched google for help, not much could be achieved.

- However, one SERIOUS observation was during HP PC Hardware diagnostics tool check - Battery check always gets cancelled (in its report), and in Long drive self-test the report is MAG8X1-8MAA8L-XD7UQ1-619F03

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SwamyMA That serious observation of yours confirms a hardware malfunction within the hard drive, the failure ID you mentioned has been deciphered to code 305, represents 

Hard Disk 1 Full Test Failure, and the same should help you with the battery failure as well, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I expected an holistic approach in resolving my issue. Approaching the service centre with loads of charges levied upon me would be my last option. I appreciate, if you would kindly suggest an alternative option without an expenditure. please.

HP Recommended

@SwamyMA I'm afraid the device requires a hard drive replacement, and that cannot be done without expenditures, 

you may order the replacement parts on the HP Parts Store, If you've already looked for it and couldn't find it on the HP Parts Store, you may want to get it locally at the online store such as Amazon or eBay, etc...as the part numbers are universal.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.