cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Battery Help & Comparison between dv7-6b77dx and new 17t-ab200 CTO

HP Recommended
17t-ab200 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Everyone,

This may become quite the long and complicated post since I'm going to be mentioning two different laptops and discussing battery life to determine if there may be a battery issue with a brand new Pavilion laptop purchased directly from HP that I received last week.

The new laptop is a Pavilion Power laptop 17t-ab200 CTO (Product number 1BQ41AV_1 on hpshopping.com) It was a custom build to add memory (16 GB) and touch screen. The battery is a 6 cell battery. As soon as I began to use this computer, I noticed the battery discharges 1% every 1-2 minutes while in consistent use. I was very surprised at how fast it seemed to be discharging because in past experience I had never seen my previous laptop (dv7-6b77dx also containing 6 cell battery) discharge that fast even though it is now 6-7 years old!

Now, I realize you can't directly compare battery life since it does depend on the type of use, the load/consistency of usage through the day, screen size, and screen brightness. I know very well how to maintain and calibrate a battery. (I got amazing battery life from the dv7-6b77dx until recently when it turned 6 years old, which in my opinion, is totally understandable.) So, in effort to test the life of this new battery when it seemed to be discharging fast, I let the battery discharge fully (down to 8% last night) and then charged up to 100% today. Starting at a full charge today, (this laptop's first full fresh charge) and only using it for web browsing and word processing work, I got 4 consistent hours total (reaching 21% at 3 and a half hours and could stretch it to 4 if on battery saver) before it was time to charge (at 9-11%) again. A few things to keep in mind here are the screen brightness is/was set to 65% until it reached 21% battery then changed to only 40% brightness for the remaining battery power. No heavy video viewing or gaming that could quickly drain the battery took place in those 3-4 hours with the new battery. The main question here is, would it be considered "normal" for brand new 6 cell batteries installed in product number 1BQ41AV_1 to last only 3 and a half to 4 hours under very basic use?

I called support and they tested the battery and told me it was functioning fine. They suggested that I leave the screen brightness at 40% most of the time to get better battery life, but I feel like that makes the screen too dark. I also honestly think I should not have to have the screen that dark in order to get more than 4 hours of usage. I have never had to do that with the dv7-6b77dx. However, dv7-6b77dx is obviously an older Win 7 computer that got 6+ hours even if I watched videos, performed photo editing tasks, and all basic use I mentioned doing with the new PC (Pavilion 17t-ab200 CTO) today.

Is there something running in Windows 10 (possibly running in the background?) that rapidly drains this new battery? When trying to compare specs of batteries side by side, is the battery in the old dv7-6b77dx simply a very superior battery? When purchasing the new Pavilion 17t-ab200 CTO, I specifically chose it in order to get another laptop that had a user removable 6 cell battery, because I believed I would get 5 or possibly 6 hours of basic use (writing and web searching) as I did with the dv7-6b77dx. Was that an inaccurate belief that is not possible with new (smaller) 6 cell batteries and/or is it because there are higher battery power demands on Windows 10 PCs? Or should I be getting better battery life on this model?

I realize this post may come off as a complaint about my purchase, but that's not my intention at all. I'm trying to determine this Pavilion 17t-ab200 CTO has a battery issue that requires fixing and/or return/exchange while I still have the window of time to possibly do that. If there are settings that I can change (other than reducing to 40% brightness) or a process I should stop to reduce demand on the battery, I want to be aware of them. Also, this laptop was a replacement for another HP laptop that came with a defect, so I'm hoping I'm not experiencing another issue the second time around. I apologize for such a long winded post. Thanks in advance to anyone who read through and can provide answers or any input.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,167 2,467
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @JF1383,

Good Day! Welcome to the HP community. I understand that you need assistance regarding more information regarding the battery of your new computer. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you with this. 🙂

Stupendous efforts. Spectacular analysis of the issue before posting.  Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 It is always a privilege to work with tech-savvy gentlemen like you. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. We greatly appreciate you for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

•  Have you updated the bios on the new notebook?
  • Have you let the battery drain out completely before trying it on a full charge?

For starters please perform these steps.

• Please uninstall the ACPI battery drivers from device manager.
  • Please uninstall the ACPI battery drivers from device manager.
  • Reset all power plans to factory defaults and then select balanced power from power options.
  • Then restart the computer.
  • Please update the bios, chipset and graphics drivers from this link http://hp.com/drivers.
  • Please select the country and type the product# of the unit. Then follow the on-screen instructions to do it.
  • Let the Screen brightness be at 60%
  • Then configure the power plan to a more balanced one that best suits your requirements and check again.
  • The battery standby differs from computer to computer. it depends on the product specifications of the computer.
  • If the computer has a better graphics card and better specifications,  then the computer with better specifications overall consumes more battery.

Also please check this link to enhance battery life: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Battery-Replaced-but-not-turning...

Please improve, calibrate and test the battery from this link if not done already. “  HP Notebook PCs - Improving Battery Performance (Windows 10, 8, 7)”: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01297640

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

David,

Thank you very much for your response and compliments. I'm not as tech savvy a woman as I make myself sound, but I do try my best, so I appreciate your acknoweledgement of that. In answer to your first two questions, yes, I have updated the bios. As I mentioned in the initial post, I did let the battery fully charge to 100% and then fully drain down (to 8% when/where the system automatically shuts down) before trying it on a full charge. The full charge from 100% back down to 8% gave me just under 4 hours of writing and web surfing as mentioned before. The 17t-ab200 CTO does have NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated graphics card.) Does this graphics card tend to be so demanding on the battery that it will discharge 1% every 1 or 2 minutes?

I will uninstall and then reinstall the ACPI battery drivers from the device manager, but I wont have time to follow these steps until over the weekend. I will update this post after doing that to let you all know if that step improved the battery life at all. I will also leave the screen brightness at 60% which should be fine, but anything lower is too dark for me and a bit of a strain on the eyes.

I also wanted to add that the estimated time remaining for this battery doesn't show up in the system tray and never has. So, I can't say whether the 3 and a half-4 hours of time that I got from the first full charge was anything close to Windows estimation as I don't seem to have that feature. While it's a feature that's not always accurate, I do slightly miss having it, because it would help me determine if the battery is functing as it should without having to keep track of the time I'm getting from charge to charge. Is there any way to get time remaining to appear on this model as I had on the dv7?

Thanks for your continued assistance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,167 2,467
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @JF1383,

I read the response comprehensively. Superb troubleshooting and spectacular deductions. Hats off to you on that score. 🙂

It is not about the graphics card alone. It is the overall specifications of the computer and as it is a high-end computer as compared to the previous model, 3 to 4 hours of battery life is pretty decent.  Besides a lot of other factors come into play. The components are designed to require more power than the previous computer to operate perhaps.

To get the battery notification when the battery is low or the estimated time left, please follow these steps:

• Also go to power options>change plan settings under balanced option> advanced power settings> Low battery level> on battery> change it to 20%
  • Do the same for plugged in also.
  • Critical Battery level > change it to 10%
  • Plugged in > also to 10%
  • Low battery notification>  change it to on
  • Plugged in also change it to on.
  • Low battery action > Change it to Do nothing
  • Plugged in > change it to do nothing
  • Reserve battery level> change it to 10%
  • Plugged in> change it to 10%
  • Then restart the computer and check if it does the trick for you.

Please note the estimated battery time shows only when you hover the cursor over the battery icon.

Also please try these with a different battery and check if the battery if it is possible to get hold of one and check if the battery standby is better than the previous one.

Trust me I’ve done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. I genuinely hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. It has been an absolute privilege to have shared this platform with you. Going by the troubleshooting and copious diagnosis and investigations conducted by you, I am sure Sherlock Holmes couldn't have done any better. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Do take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation