Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ap0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm a college student and purchased my Spectre to replace a Windows Surface Pro 4. I've only had this laptop for a year and three months. It is out of manufacturer warranty and I haven't decided if its worth even bothering to renew. Ever since the pandemic worsened and schools went online, I've been much more reliant on my devices to manage everything. For roughly the past two months my laptop has been finicky with charging and holding a charge, coming up with the message of "plugged in, not charging". My laptop can charge to 100% but when it starts acting up, no matter how long it stays plugged in, it'll stay anywhere between 90-95%. I'm mostly worried because I don't know how this could affect the device on the whole, as well as the fact that I don't want it to worsen due to not addressing it. The first time it happened I just updated all the BIOS and software that I hadn't been aware of and that took care of the issue. But ever since then, it has become more and more frequent, now averaging at about once a week, that my laptop, despite being plugged in, is not charging. Every time I run any battery check whether it be through the component assessment, the diagnostics in HP Assistant, or what have you, everything comes back normal. I've tried hard restarts and going through the device manager to uninstall the battery and AC Adapter and restarting to remedy the problem but that only serves as a bandaid. I'm frustrated and I don't know if it's worth it to send in or if that's even necessary as I have no real way of knowing what's wrong based on the diagnostics the laptop has come back with. I'm basically at a loss and with summer classes and the fall semester looming I'd really just like to know if I need to just replace it or send it in. I feel like I've tried everything without getting lasting results and I can't afford to continue to fight it while actively needing it to function properly for class.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MelaniaP,

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the battery on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

What is the product number of your computer?

What is the BIOS version installed on your computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under the device manager.

Here is how you do it.

Step 1: Click the Windows “Start” button and right-click “Computer.”

Step 2: Click “Manage,” then “Device Manager.”

Step 3: Click the “Batteries” section. A list of devices will appear.

Step 4: Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”

Step 5: Click the “Action” menu item and “Scan for Hardware Changes” to reinstall the driver.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My product number is 4WB34U#ABA and I think my BIOS version is 7.6.0.0?

I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the battery via Device Manager. Doing that or a hard restart seems to only be a temporary solution to the problem, unfortunately. I most recently had to perform these actions on Sunday, July 26, and once again my laptop is not charging to full and depleting despite being plugged in.

HP Recommended

@MelaniaP

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you download and install the BIOS from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp100501-101000/sp100746.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I realize it has been a while since I checked in. I downloaded that update and it seemed to have worked up until the past few days. I am currently back at square one it seems. Do we know of anything else that can be done?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.