Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 15" x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased HP Spectre 15-ch011dx in Nov 2018.  It is 2.5 years old now.  Battery started to swell 2 years ago, and now it is really bad.  I am concerned it will explode.  This laptop cost me $1100 Black Friday sale (still super expensive, normally $1600).  I CANNOT believe HP will not replace the battery.  Is this right?

Plus, there is no where to get a genuine HP replacement battery (928372-856).  HP so nicely puts in a boot message if you replace with an after market battery that it is not genuine.  Apple would NEVER treat their customers this way!  This is my first and last HP!!!  I am so frustrated with the low quality of HP, the fact they trick their customers and you cannot even get a genuine HP battery, and you are screwed if you buy an after market battery!!

Someone - please help me.  I've seen dozens of posts, with some HP employee who gets on and say they'll help you.  I gave all my info and all they do is say sorry, you are screwed, HP isn't going to do anything.  Then they just hope you go away and stop posting.

Well, I'm not going to stop posting - I'm so upset to have to spend this much money, give HP a chance on such a high end laptop to purchase, and not fix the laptop for free after 2.5 years it is completely failing (poor quality battery), not make genuine batteries available (928372-856), and put a message in that if you replace it with something aftermarket (all that is available) you get a message that you are using an aftermarket battery.

THIS SUCKS.  I do not need a HP person to tell me to contact them only for them to tell me I am screwed.  I'd really like to hear how other people have resolved this satisfactorily.  Please help me.  I am desperate, have spent a huge amount ($1100) on this HP 15" Spectre x360 in 2018 (15-ch011dx) and now I risk the battery exploding on me as I type.  Oh, the track pad doesn't work anymore by the way.  I HATE YOU HP!    Anyone else, please help me!

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Sorry, just to be clear on my post above, battery started to swell after 2 years of light/normal use (not 2 years ago).

HP Recommended

Thanks for everyone's reply.  I have searched through the whole HP website with the instructions and there is no battery available for purchase with the part number 928372-855.  I see there are many off brands on the web BUT all reviews all say that the PC laptop will boot up everytime and say it is not an OEM battery.  That is just crazy.

I went to https://parts.hp.com/Hpparts/Default.aspx?cc=us&lang=en-us and typed in the serial number of my laptop.  There are a bunch of parts to buy from HP but NO battery is listed!

Also, I just had HP support just tell me it will cost me $399 + tax to get it replaced.  THIS IS CRAZY and there is no way I can afford that.

Here is my assessment of the situation:

- HP does not offer OEM batteries here for sale on purpose, they want you to pay them $399 + tax to get the battery replaced.  

- If you cannot afford the $399 for the battery replacement (which is just crazy), you are forced to go off-brand and have to deal with having a non-OEM battery and have it come up everytime you boot up with an alert you have a non-OEM battery which is annoying and kills resell value -- it is just embarrassing to have this come up in front of people like I'm cheap.

Does anyone see any alternative to get access to an HP OEM battery for this laptop cheaper than paying HP $399 + tax to get it 'serviced'?  I purposely went with HP as a highly respected brand name.  I will never purchase HP again.  This type of behavior just shows they are purposely ripping off their customers.

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same problem with exactly the same laptop model (15-ch011dx) at pretty much exactly the same time frame as you have. I bought my machine late 2018, in October, I think. I've taken the battery out completely, and the chassis is permanently warped because of the stress the inflating battery put on the system from the inside. It's maddening. I don't have a good idea how much fire danger a battery like this poses. Do aftermarket batteries pose the same risks? Why isn't HP providing a replacement part?

I suspect this has been an issue with the product line and maybe with the batteries themselves. HP doesn't want to do a recall.  I wouldn't *want* to do one either, but it's the right thing to do. How many of these laptops have had the same exact problem?

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur wrote:

This is normal - batteries are consumables.

Outside of the warranty, we replace our own batteries.

When HP does not market a battery with the HP name on it, we purchase a compatible battery.

Some batteries just die quietly - others inflate and then fail.

Sorry, an inflating battery is not "normal. " It may be routine, or a semi-regular occurrence in a defective product, but it is most certainly not "normal." If it were "normal," the design of the whole system would have accommodated an inflated battery. The pressure the battery put against my keyboard and trackpad actually impeded normal laptop function. The OP is right to be angry about this. I know I am. Splurging $1500 on a nice laptop and then having a defective component fail and damage the whole system is not a good way to do business. I spent half that much on a Samsung laptop and it lasted over 5 years with no issues at all. Had I not dropped a cup of coffee on it, I might still be using it now.

Treating customers like this is a deal breaker for me. I'm in tech-- the kind of person who gets lots of questions about machines. The Spectre x360 was the first, and is now the last HP product I will ever purchase, including printers. FYI an HP printer has graced my office for over 20 years. Never again.

HP Recommended

@jacalope, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand your concern. Let me escalate this issue to the concerned team.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@jacalope Please let me know what the HP support person offers you.  If it is anything better than $399 + tax to replace your battery, it'd be useful to know.  That is all I got.

HP Recommended

Hi @namdarius, HP offered battery replacement for $300. I bought a knockoff on Amazon for $40 since that was all that was available to me.  The installation went smoothly. I followed the instructions on the product's Amazon page, which included a few charge/discharge cycles once the new battery was connected. Everything seems to be working well.

Of course, the machine frame is still warped, so the system doesn't sit flat. The rubber feet on the bottom of the laptop had to be peeled off to get to the machine screws. It didn't seal back properly to the bottom, so I had to cut them in pieces and epoxy them back to the bottom in strategic location so that I could get back to the screws if and when it becomes necessary.

There is a lot to love about this laptop, but there's quite a lot that has left me scratching my head over the past couple of years, i.e. design decisions that were ultimately flawed.

Hope you're doing well.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the follow up, I assume you have to see the message of using a non-OEM every time you boot up?

HP Recommended

I've looked for it, but I've not seen that particular message show up on my machine while booting 😕

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.