Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery Won't Charge | Works Plugged In with Battery Removed

Pavillion dv7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My battery all of a sudden won't charge. The computer works with remaining battery (when AC is not plugged in). The computer works with the battery removed when plugged in. But if battery is in and the computer is plugged into the outlet, it does not charge the battery, nor does it recognize that it is plugged in. It only tries to run on the remaining battery.

WHen the battery is in and the computer is using the AC adapter, I get a blinking white light next to the plug for the AC adapter.

I have two separate batteries, and it is doing the same thing on both batteries. I have tried deleting the  Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and the Microsoft AC Adapter in the Device Manager section. It didn't fix my problem.

I also used HP Support Assistant's HP Battery Check diagnostic tool. It says my "battery is functioning correctly, but the AC adapter is not attached. To completely test your battery, please attache the AC Adapter." 

The strange thing is, my AC adapter is plugged in, but the computer thinks it is not attached. So it is not recognizing my AC adapter when the battery is in. But does recognize and use the AC adapter when the battery is removed. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fix?

Thank you!

1 REPLY
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
15195 1001 1650
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery Won't Charge | Works Plugged In with Battery Removed

Hi @sstjohn,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you are having charging issues on your HP notebook. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

Hats off to you for a job well done as you have tried the basic troubleshooting steps and checked settings on the unit, before posting the query in the HP forums. It is amazing to see how technically competent you are. It is always a privilege to work with tech-savvy customers like you.

To begin with, I would suggest you try to use an alternate compatible charge and check if that helps.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Notebook PCs - Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter 

I would suggest please update the BIOS and Chipset drivers on your PC and check if it helps, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation