Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion g7 LF156UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The issue has been progressive over a few months. When the ac adapter is plugged into the laptop, the blue LED lights for a second then changes to amber. After a few seconds the LED goes off. On the screen the battery stsus icon will show the AC symbol while the LED is ON but it goes away whn the LED goes off. The battery does not charge. I have a new battery. I have another g6 laptop (uses the same battery) that i can charge the batteries in and the AC adapter works flawlessly in that laptop. After the LED goes out I have to remove the AC adapter plug from the laptop and wait a few minutes. Then when i plug the AC adapter plug back into the laptop power socket the cycle repeats; blue LED 1 seocnd, amber LED a few seconds, AC icon on battery status indicator,  LED off, AC icon disappears, battery does not charge. Two different AC adapters, two different batteries (one new and one older - both genuine hp batteries). If I leave the AC adapter plugged into the laptop the LED will not come back on and the AC icon never reappears. I must remove the AC plug from the laptop for a period of time to restart the cycle (short). When the issue started the cycle of charging was longer and it slowely over time has reduces to this few seconds. It seems maybe something in the charge circuit is overheating? The laptop will not run from the AC adapter without a charged battery installed, when this issue atrated it would run from jsut the AC for some time now the AC only "works" for a few seconds. Any help will be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings @jdbaley

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that your computer is not powering On with the battery and adapter. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Does your computer stay On without the battery for long?

Have you run any diagnostics on your computer?

Request you boot the computer to BIOS by tapping F10 repeatedly on startup. 

Reset BIOS to defaults. 

Save and Exit BIOS. 

Observe the computer. 

If the issue persists, recommend you boot the computer to system diagnostics by tapping F2 repeatedly on startup and run an extensive system test. Click here

If any of the tests fails, please replace the failed component or contact our phone support for the service options available. 

If all the tests pass, please run HP Support Assistant to make sure all the drivers are updated on your computer. Click here

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @jdbaley

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that your computer is not powering On with the battery and adapter. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Does your computer stay On without the battery for long?

Have you run any diagnostics on your computer?

Request you boot the computer to BIOS by tapping F10 repeatedly on startup. 

Reset BIOS to defaults. 

Save and Exit BIOS. 

Observe the computer. 

If the issue persists, recommend you boot the computer to system diagnostics by tapping F2 repeatedly on startup and run an extensive system test. Click here

If any of the tests fails, please replace the failed component or contact our phone support for the service options available. 

If all the tests pass, please run HP Support Assistant to make sure all the drivers are updated on your computer. Click here

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the very successful help! Restting the Bios defaulrts seems to have done the trick! Battery charging and operation from the AC adapter both appesr to function normally. I will test for a few more days to be sure. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. I am curious though what may have been changed in the Bios settings that could have resulted in this behavior? It does now seem that the issues first started appearing around the time of the upgrade from Windows 7 to WIndows 10, maybe just coincidence?

HP Recommended

Hi @jdbaley,

I am glad to know that the issue has been resolved. As @Chimney_83 is out of office today, I am replying on his behalf.

You've done a remarkable job of troubleshooting and displayed superb effort to try and correct the issue. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂

Take care and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.