Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I get the ‘sphinx fix’ as per this thread please?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Battery-drain-of-more-than-18-...

Or just Google: HP 7098426 and the original thread will come up.

I am also affected by battery drain when shut down and have performed numerous troubleshooting steps plus:

If I physically remove the battery and set it aside for 7 days when I reassemble it the battery has dropped by 1% which is perfectly acceptable.

If I leave the battery in the laptop but fully turned off (i.e. not in sleep mode/hibernate/wake on LAN etc etc) and do not turn it on for 7 days it drops by 14% which is not acceptable.

Model: 13-ac033dx

Product I.D. Z4Z22UAR#ABA

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi! @KTO1,

Are you using an HP genuine adapter to charge the laptop?

I have checked the records and your laptop is not one of the affected units, so you cannot install the sphinx update.

Please find the list of affected units below.

HP Spectre 13-w000 x360 Convertible PC series
HP Spectre x360 - 13-w000 Convertible PC series CTO
HP Spectre x360 - 13t-w000 Convertible PC series CTO

However, try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Try updating the BIOS and chipset drivers on the PC to the latest version from the links below.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Update the chipset drivers using this link. Click Here

Please try the steps recommended below.

Try performing a hard reset on the laptop and check if it helps.

Turn off the computer.
Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
For most laptops, press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds to reset.
If your laptop model is listed below, use the instructions specific to your computer.
Plug the AC adapter back into the laptop computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
The computer starts normally or a startup menu opens.
If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.
After Windows opens, reconnect each peripheral device that was disconnected, one device at a time, until all devices are reconnected.

Run Power Troubleshooter.

On Cortana, enter  Troubleshooter then select Troubleshooting.
Click Improve power usage to open the window, then click Next. 
This should run the troubleshooter and can fix any detected issues. You may try restarting your computer and charge your battery again.

Lastly, try running a battery test using the HP support assistant.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply and yes I am using a genuine HP adapter and when I left the battery in the laptop for 7 days fully turned off (i.e. not in sleep mode/hibernate/wake on LAN etc etc) I ensured that the adapter was unplugged from the laptop and that there were no other peripheral devices connected.

I have just done what you suggested in the following order:

1) Updated the bios via your link. I did get a message saying version F49 was already installed however I still installed the version from your link

2) Updated the chipset drivers from your link. I did not get any message saying the version was already installed

3) Hard reset performed following the process you advised

4) Power troubleshooter run with no faults found

5) Battery test run with no faults found. There is no fault with the battery anyway,  if I take it out and leave it for 7 days it only discharges by 1% which is fine

Going forward I will now shut it down fully and leave it for 7 days with the battery in and everything disconnected to see if the chipset drivers I have just installed stop the 14% discharge over the 7 days and come back with the results accordingly.

HP Recommended

@KTO1,

Thanks for writing back to us.

Certainly, you can take your time and write back to us if you have any concerns, we will try our best to help you out.

Take Care! 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As per my post from 7 days ago I have just turned it back on and the battery has discharged by 16% so sadly the suggestions you recommended have not worked.

(As a reminder if I fully remove the battery and set it aside for 7 days it only discharges by 1%).

Do you have any other suggestions I can try please?

HP Recommended

@KTO1,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply and I have followed your link and logged in but I do not get the 'Chat option'. I only get two options 'Visit the HP Support Community' and 'Start Phone Case'.

How do I get the 'Chat option' to appear?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@KTO1,

I think the chat option may not be available for your region. You will see all the support options available for your region once you enter the required details. I recommend you create a phone case and check.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.