Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
2 in 1 Hp envy×360 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought the laptop 2 days back. And this is my second one as I returned the same product because of rapid battery drain.

It lasts around 5 hours while normal use though it's said to be working 8 hours without any problem.. And the major problem is that the battery drains very rapidly even when the laptop is switched off!

Is there a solution for this?

I tried everything from power reset to hard reset and also installed all the latest drivers & BIOS.

Please help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Saurab191 

When your laptop is turned off, it is most likely NOT powered off, so it continues to use power.

Win10 has enabled a new hibernation process known as Fast Startup -- which is enabled BY DEFAULT. This is different from Fast Boot, which is a BIOS/UEFI option.

Fast Startup is supposed to dramatically speed up the booting process, but in some PCs, it actually slows it down or causes it to hang. It's also a new form of hibernation known as hybrid sleep -- and this causes battery drain to maintain the state of the PC while turned off. In some rare cases, it can also cause a laptop to overheat because the processor is still running and still generating heat, as this has been reported when the laptop was turned off and put inside a case.

Disabling Fast Startup might fix booting and shutdown problems.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win10: (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, Fast Startup is disabled.

See if that helps.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAwood

No this didn't help!

Are there any other ways?

It drains more than 10 percent in 12 hours when completely shut down.

I don't think that this is my personal problem only because this is my same second laptop that I got in return which also has the same problem.

If there are any other ways then please let me know!

Thank you!

HP Recommended

@Saurab191 

First off, this is not something you are doing, so don't blame yourself for this.

Second, I was hoping that would help -- but I have the same problem with my HP laptop and it did not fix it, either.  I discovered this when I put the laptop aside for several days and when I then restarted it, the batter was almost dead.  I now remove the battery when I put the laptop aside, but if you can't do that, then I don't know what else to suggest.  Sorry

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.