Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Gotta hammer hp for this issue. The ones that I dealt with aren't aware of the issue even after I forwarded this thread and closed my case.
HP Recommended

We bought 4 - and have two more coming in at work .

Besides the annoying buzzing, whirling noise, when the laptop is funny charged on or off.

Battery draing on all 4 is crazy then off.

We shut them off nothing plugged in and from 100% they drain 8 to 10 %. crazy.

(meanwhile my samsung tabpro s when off might might lose 1% during the same time )

I contacted HP support on twitter - their response " the are defective " lol all four? and i bet the two coming in will have the same issue.

We have a exchange window will Mid january .. so i hpe a fix comes before that. if not all will be returned, no matter how nice the laptop is

HP Recommended

Thanks everyone for bringing this issue to light. As many have stated, I love this laptop (I have the w023dx) which was purchased yesterday. I had the new macbook pro but could not get used to the keyboard and it was overpriced for what it is. That aside, I did shut mine down last night at 53% around 9p, then powered it back on today about 11a to find it was 47%. I expect a slight drain from startup but this seems to be the problem you all are having. Has anyone seen an official fix from hp yet? Sorry if I missed that in previous posts but was wondering as it sounds many are escalating this issue with hp. Hopefully there will be safe fix issued soon that won't affect any other aspects of the laptop. Thanks everyone for all of the ideas and info! For what it's worth, I was looking at the lenovo yoga 910, dell xps 13, macbook pro non touchbar (way overpriced and terrible keyboard), and the hp spectre x360. I believe the hp is the best of the bunch and would be such a pleasure without this issue. Thanks!

HP Recommended

I have a new 13-w030ca.  It's the new i7 with 16GB RAM and 512 GB SSD. I have the dreaded discharge issue.  If i leave the computer off for a week (It's only for presentations) it's at 0% charge.  I've successfully applied the Sphinx "fix".  I had great expectations!  However the fix doesn't do anything for my configuration.  I'm baffled that a Company as large as HP would let this through their engineering and trial stage.  It's clearly a software "fix" that should have allready been rolled out.

HP Recommended

I tried this fix with a german model and wasn't able to charge the device afterwards, so be careful with these models.

To be able to charge again I needed to perform a full system recovery from a backup I made before this fix and follow the instructions in this thread: 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Brand-New-HP-x360-is-quot-plugg...

Just sharing this in case someone else had this problem.

HP Recommended

Take a look at what happened to me in post 179 (and176) regarding battery charging issues after applying the sphinx update. After I applied it a 2nd time in a row, my battery drain problem was least drastic and I was able to charge again. I didn't have to do any type of restore from backup

HP Recommended

As a follow up, I applied the Sphinx fix on Wednesday.  It seemed to lose 5% per day after.  On Thursay I gave the computer a 100% charge and I unplugged and turned it off.  I'm at Sunday and I have 87%  This is still far better than before.  By now I would have been below 50%.  So the fix is making the discharge incrementally better.  Not a total loss. Hopefully,  I can wait until HP issues an official fix.

HP Recommended

Hello

Here is my experience with this problem :

I have the battery drain issue on my 13 x360, i7, SSD 512 GB, 16GB ram, a 10% drain overnight. Then I contacted the hp support, the guy applied the sphinx fix (if you want to download it from hp server, here is the link : ftp://sphinx12:+MG9rp^F@ftp.usa.hp.com, the 7z password is 123 and the procedure is the one that can be found on the method that has been uploaded here before).

After this fix, the drain has been reduced, but it is still here, approx 5% each 48h. I contacted again support, they told me that the case has been escalated to level 2, I am now waiting to be contacted by them.

Anyway, I was being told that a fix is supposed to come via a BIOS update, but no additional info on when, and what exactly is the problem.

HP Recommended

@Rufufu wrote:

Hello

Here is my experience with this problem :

I have the battery drain issue on my 13 x360, i7, SSD 512 GB, 16GB ram, a 10% drain overnight. Then I contacted the hp support, the guy applied the sphinx fix (if you want to download it from hp server, here is the link : ftp://sphinx12:+MG9rp^F@ftp.usa.hp.com, the 7z password is 123 and the procedure is the one that can be found on the method that has been uploaded here before).

After this fix, the drain has been reduced, but it is still here, approx 5% each 48h. I contacted again support, they told me that the case has been escalated to level 2, I am now waiting to be contacted by them.

Anyway, I was being told that a fix is supposed to come via a BIOS update, but no additional info on when, and what exactly is the problem.

Glad to hear your comments. They escalated mine to the Engineering Team also over a week ago, but I've heard nothing further from them. If they get back to me and are able to actually correct the problem completely, or they offer another updated BIOS that will correct the problem completely, I'm OK either way. Love the Spectre, but I don't plan to keep it unless they can fix this issue 100%. I'll let you know if/when I hear back from them.

HP Recommended

I went through all these drills with HP several months ago. They finally asked that I send my Spectre x360 back to have the battery replaced. I went through all the brain damage of cleaning all my personal information off my machine and sent it back. It has been about six months now and my battery barely lasts two hours on a full charge.

I won't buy another HP laptop product. It's not worth the risk. For what I paid for Spectre x360, I could have purchased a nice Apple laptop and the service would have been much better.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.