Intern
11 8 0 8
Message 1 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery drain when shut-down/hibernate (HP Spectre x360) continued

HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Continued and opened new topic, because  it's a huge problem and topic was closed. due to off topic posts. Please stay on topic.

old topic: from http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Battery-drain-when-shut-down-HP...

I want to share my experience with the battery drain issue on the Spectre in shutdown and hibernate.

Model: HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-w0XX (kabylake, 8GB, i5)

I still have battery drain, mostly in hibernate (2% in 24H) after applying to following and contacting HP support.

Today for the first time no drain in 23H after shutdown.

Did myself:

• update bios to  F.20 (from website, not available with HP support assistant)
  • sphinx fix (Sphinx 1.0 PD FW update_NVM4_TI14_B8_1.zip, date 17-1-2017 from ftp://ftp.usa.hp.com/
  • samsung NVMe controller update to 2.1.0.1611
  • disabled fast-boot
  • disabled usb charging in bios
  • All drivers from HP support assistant
  • All drivers and updates from HP website

Contacted HP support and they did:

HP (was connected to HP support Ireland) wasn't aware of this problem, only about a charging issue.

But confirmed it's a battery related issue, not a windows issue and asked my to do the folowwing and then do a battey check from support assistant or http://support.hp.com/nl-nl/document/c04726355.

This helps in discharging the static from the motherboard and the internal components. 

• Shut down the notebook.
• Unplug the AC Power adapter, disconnect all peripheral devices (printer, scanner, camera, etc).
• Press and hold the power button down for 20 seconds.
• Release and connect the AC Power adapter.
• Turn on the notebook and check the performance.

Person did not respond to questions about the spinhx fix or did't know about a new bios update. 

So not very usefull and i'm still folowing this thread to see if there's any progress. 

Maybe contact again and hope you get connected to a person who knows about the problem.

44 REPLIES 44
ElGuapo67 Tutor
Tutor
14 13 0 2
Message 2 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does the static issue cause or contribute to the battery drain?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
11 8 0 8
Message 3 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know for sure. I was asked to do this and asked with it does, i got this answer by chat and pasted it here exactly.

I think just to be sure nothing is left in memory or in any capacitor on the motherboard.

Found this: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

A hard or forced reset erases all information in the computer's memory, which may restore functionality. Resetting your computer forces the system to clear and reestablish the software connections between the BIOS and the hardware.

Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
42 41 0 12
Message 4 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

why was the other thread closed?

To the thread started LINK to the old thread as well so it doesn't get buried in pages, so people know that this issue is ongoing and people are having issues.

Not sure why the mod closed it , issues were not resolved and are wide spread.

Original Thread:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Battery-drain-when-shut-down-HP...

0 Kudos
ElGuapo67 Tutor
Tutor
14 13 0 2
Message 5 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The last thread was closed because it devolved into people ranting against each other to the point were only 1 out of 6 posts were relevant.  The rest started talking about how people didn't understand how cars worked, how so and so thinks he is an expert on everything but "really isn't" .  

@op1001 wrote:

To the thread started LINK to the old thread as well so it doesn't get buried in pages, so people know that this issue is ongoing and people are having issues.

Original Thread:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Battery-drain-when-shut-down-HP...

@op1001 wrote:

Original Thread:

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
11 8 0 8
Message 6 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

23 hours, Spectre shutdown and no luck, because 2% drain (yesterday 0% in 24 hours).

It looks like sometimes it doesn't shutdown completely and internal component/static is still consuming power.

In hibernate even a little bit more draining.

Now trying to shuwdown and holder power button for 15 seconds, maybe this will help.

But HP has to come with official reaction and address this problem.

Are they working on a fix or what? Support staff don't know about the problem or they won't tell.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
11 8 0 8
Message 7 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No luck, still draining battery when spectre is totally shutdown with no usb devices attached.

Hope we get answers from hp soon, HP support agent Riddle_Decipher escalated.

0 Kudos
ElGuapo67 Tutor
Tutor
14 13 0 2
Message 8 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

They do not have a fix - I have not seen anyone who has been fixed compeltely - at best a little worse problem.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
49 47 0 11
Message 9 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just a heads up guys, it seems like the latest sphinx fix available at hp's ftp server (Sphinx 1.0 PD FW update_NVM4_TI14_B8_1) fully disables thunderbolt 3. So if you want to use TB3 equipment chose a earlier version of the fix. 

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
42 41 0 12
Message 10 of 45
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If that is the case and it disables thunderbolt 3 it could be a potention lose for buyers that bought this notebook for that reason.

false advertising ? who knows , if this is the "fix"

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation