3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery drain when shutdown

HP Spectre X360 Pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a HP Spectre x360 PRO (i5-5300U), and I am actually very happy with it. However the battery drains very quickly when the notebook is shut down. It drains about 10% per 24 hours and after a couple of days it won't even start without hanging it to the charger.  As the problem exists since the notebook was brand new, I assume it is not related to the battery. I learned there might be a fix for this problem (Sphinx) but I didn't find the download unfortunatelly. I would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
15902 15846 1477 3529
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@master4711

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

With Win10, Microsoft enabled a new form of hibernation known as FastStartup (not to be confused with Fast Boot, which is a different UEFI booting option). This is ENABLED by default in Win10 and while this is supposed to speed up Restart, in some cases, it actually causes problems in hybrid sleep and hibernation -- problems that don't go away until you DISABLE it.

This also ensure that even after you have turned off your laptop, it is still consuming power so that it can start quickly when you turn it on, again.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win8/10; (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, FastStartup is disabled.

Hopefully, this will address the battery draining problem.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
master4711 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for the reply! I disabled FastStartup, but it still drains about 10% per 24hrs. Any other ideas? The problem seems to be the same as described by several users in this topic: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Battery-drain-when-shut-down-H...

The solution for many of these guys seems to be the "Sphinx" Update. I would like to try this update but unfortunatelly can't find it anywhere...

Thanks again for your appreciated help!

0 Kudos
master4711 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

no idea? anyone?!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation