Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (475 Views)

Battery drain while off

Product Name: Pavilion 15 ak156nm
Operating System: Linux

I have bought new Pavilion 15 ak 156 nm. Installed Ubuntu 16.04 and everything is working fine except its draining battery when powered off. After one day of being off I can't turn on laptop until I connect it to AC adapter. Have tried holding power button for a minute but doesn't help. 

Also BIOS update that is listed under this model is not working with it. Can't find my model file when I create bootable USB. All other files are not compatible.

Please help.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 7 (441 Views)

Re: Battery drain while off

Hi @Alek_rs,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with battery draining while it's powered off. I'd be glad to help you.

Factors that contribute to loss of battery capacity

• The self-discharge rate of a Li-Ion battery is higher if the battery is left in an unpowered notebook.

Recommended battery care practices

• Remove the battery if the notebook will be stored (turned off and not plugged into AC power) for more than 2 weeks.

• Remove the battery from the notebook if the notebook will be plugged into AC power continuously (via a wall adapter or docking station) for more than 2 weeks  

The above can be found in this document: HP Notebook PCs - Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology . It also provides more insight into how the batteries work. 

Alternatively, you can try the steps listed in this support document : HP Notebook PCs - Improving Battery Performance (Windows 10, 8, 7)

I would also try testing and calibrating the battery: HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10)

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 3 of 7 (396 Views)

The battery is not getting discharged when I remove it from laptop. What's the problem with hardware that drains battery? If it was the battery problem it would get drained also when it's not pluged in laptop. Should I try updating my BIOS?

Removing battery each time is not the solution...

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 7 (382 Views)

Hi @Alek_rs,

Thanks for replying. Usually, when the battery is removed from the laptop sometimes battery does discharge. If it's not as suggested in the previous link, I would recommend you go ahead and do a Bios update.

Let me know how it goes. I'll be happy to help you with your concern.

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Tutor
Message 5 of 7 (364 Views)

Hi sorry but welcome to the club. Many people on this forum including me having problems with battery drain after shutdown mainly on Spectre models but obviously not just now. HP wont help unless you contacted them and send in for repair if you trust them.

Have you tried disabling the usb charging?

Sorry if no help but your not alone.

Carl

Honor Student
Message 6 of 7 (307 Views)

Bios updated to F.82 Rev.A but the problem still occurs. What's the next step? Unplugging battery when not using laptop is not a solution.

Cheers,

Alek

Honor Student
Message 7 of 7 (294 Views)

Hello I have a hp split x2 model number 13-m010dx and it will not turn on or charge up the battery. I tried to charge it with another cord to see if it was the cord but it would not charge or turn on. I have read with this model they have had battery issue. What can I do?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation