Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (150 Views)

Battery is "plugged in, not charging"

Product Name: HP ENVY 17
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

System: HP Envy 17, Model 17 -- k206TX,  LOL32PPA#ABG 

Hello I am hoping someone can help me with this issue: 

My battery shows the message (3% [for example] available, plugged in, not charging). This is a replacement battery but I had the same issue with my original battery.

The battery charges very slowly when the laptop is turned off and plugged in.

I noticed that the "Microsoft Composite battery" driver is missing.
fds.png

This is what I have done to try and fix the problem (not in order).

1. Ran the system recovery which took me back to windows 8.1, updated everything then moved to windows 10 64-bt.
2. Replaced the battery (it was due for a replacement anyway).
3. Updated the Bios through HPs website to the latest version, and reset the Bios settings to default just in case.
4. Ran the Windows trouble-shooter for Battery issues and hardware, it found no problems.
5. Completely drained the battery, uninstalled the battery drivers just using AC power, powered it back on with the battery inserted. 
6. I can't use the HP Service battery tester as that causes the laptop to blue screen (the first time I did this the old battery started charging again for a while).

I ran the battery diagnostic (F2) and got this error message:DSC_0108.JPG

I'm not a tech person. So, it's meaningless to me. Unfortunately, the laptop is out of warranty. Any ideas other than a repair shop?

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (131 Views)

Re: Battery is "plugged in, not charging"

[ Edited ]

The two entries you have in Device Manager are all I have too-with a perfectly functioning battery. I am no expert on batteries but Design Capacity:2200 mAh is very low for a 17" laptop. For instance mine is Design Capacity: 5020 mAh and I am using a 13" Spectre. 

The indicator says Replace along with the Failure ID and terminal voltage:0-  you either got a bad battery or possible I suppose it could be the connection to charging terminals on the laptop.

My readings for comparison:

Design Capacity: 5020 mAh

Terminal Voltage: 12971 mV

Design Voltage: 11550 mV

Cell Voltage 1: 4324 mV

Cell Voltage 2: 4325 mV

Cell Voltage 3: 4323 mV

Cell Voltage 4: 0 mV

***Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your problem***
*****Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!*****
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (121 Views)

Thanks for that. I just ran the test with the old battrey and they are quite different. The vendor for the new battery said if it fits it should work, so I will try and send it back. A replcement battery through HP is $166 ouch lol

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (117 Views)

Get the number off the original battery and do a search with it. it should bring up some of same or guaranteed replacement. Usually Amazon has a pretty big supply.

***Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your problem***
*****Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!*****
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation