Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15 CW0027AU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I bought this laptop (HP 15 CW0027AU) yesterday, and have been facing problem with the battery since then.😓

At first the battery didn't charge beyond 99%. As suggested in some other thread of HP support I have done this, (along with updating the BIOS and other required driver/apps using HP asstt. tool):

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

I could get the charge to 100% after following the above steps but it took 15 minutes to reach 100 from 99%.

Later, I charged it again from 96% and it took almost 45 minutes to reach 100%, whereas charging is quite fast till 90%. I understand that in final stage of charging the charging speed might decrease but I don't think 6% charge in 45 minutes is really justifiable.

I even visited the service center, and they asked me to leave the laptop for a day or two, which I don't really want.😐

And, how can I know if it's a serious issue? I've run the diagnostics test and the battery has passed it. 

I would be really grateful if someone could help me with this issue. Please!!

This is my first thread here, feel free to shift it to the appropriate head, as I couldn't find any column for battery related issues.

Thanks

PS: I'm on laptop and the AC adapter is attached, battery has charged to 48% from 16% in less than 30 minutes. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The proof is in the runtime. When the battery is new it is calibrating and you may get some odd behaviour. Give it 2 or 3 days and see what kind of actual runtime the battery is providing. I am going to go out on a limb and guess all is OK with it but keep an eye on it. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The proof is in the runtime. When the battery is new it is calibrating and you may get some odd behaviour. Give it 2 or 3 days and see what kind of actual runtime the battery is providing. I am going to go out on a limb and guess all is OK with it but keep an eye on it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for the assistance sir.

As I told in my main thread, battery was charged till 48% when I shut down the laptop and disconnected the charger, and after 6 hrs when I started the laptop, it showed me 67% battery remaining.

I don't know what's causing the issue. Or whether it should be considered as issue or not!

About runtime, I could get 4.5 hrs battery runtime while watching photos on external HDD at full brightness. Is that normal battery runtime for new laptop of this series?

What all can I do from my end to make it work normally? 😐 Should I also try manual calibration? if yes, please share the detailed procedure.  Sorry, I'm freaking out a bit.

At the moment, my laptop is charging and still stuck at 99% from last half an hour, even at minimum brightness and 'better battery' power mode.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

99% vs. 100% is nothing to worry about. Use it normally which means charge it as high as it will go, then use it on battery run it down to 20% or so and charge it back up. A couple cycles of that and it should be calibrated and let's see how it is doing. Yes about 4.5 hours is in the normal range and should improve a little as the battery calibrates itself. As I said give it two or three up and down cycles and report back how its doing. 

HP Recommended

Ok sir, I will update this thread in couple of days. 

Thanks for helping me out!

HP Recommended

HI,

As suggested, I used it for 3 days and have had many charging cycles too. Battery still takes more than 15 minutes to charge from 99 to 100%. But as the battery runtime is decent (around 6hrs), I don't think I need to worry.

I also did the manual calibration and the battery took 2 hours 20 minutes to charge from 0 to 100. Is it the adequate time needed by the battery to completely charge?

I read the user guide and found that my laptop model has fast charging feature, which charges the laptop quite fast till 90% and from 90 to 100% it shifts to "normal speed" (as stated in User guide).  Now I don't know what normal speed means.

Could you please tell me how the fast charging feature of HP really works? I couldn't find any technical detailed info about the same on the internet. 

Also, I was told by the service technician to avoid using the laptops while plugged in (at 100% or low), and battery should be charged till 100% in order to increase the battery life, which is contrary to what I have read on various sites, which says that charging Lithium ion batteries till 80-85% increases the battery life, instead of charging it completely. But at the same time, the battery in my laptop, perhaps due to fast charging features, takes more time to charge in last 10%, so I don't know if it's really a good idea to unplug the charger at 80%, and miss the last 10% charge on daily basis.

I'd be happy to have an expert's view on this issue.

Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

Expert's view is that your battery is fine. I always tell people to use AC powwer if it is available even if the laptop is charged to 100%. The battery has a smart chip and shuts off power flow to the battery. There is a lot of bad information about laptop batteries floating around out there but as I said, use AC when available use the battery when you must. Never let charge drop below 15-20%. Other than that, use it and enjoy. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

The problem still persists, it takes no less 30 minutes to reach 100% from 99%. The only time the battery charged at normal pace was when I did battery calibration.

I have already reset the windows, reinstalled the drivers a couple of times, and tried almost every suggested solution on this forum. But all in vain. 
I've been continuously using the laptop from last one week, battery must have got calibrated by now. I even did a manual calibration.

I've seen/read many user posts reporting the same issue, across the brands. But couldn't find any solution to this problem.

What should I do know?

Thanks
HP Recommended

So you are defining the problem as the last 1% of indicated charge on the meter? Do you get different runtime from 99% than you do from 100? I'm just not seeing the need to invest a lot of effort into this. 

HP Recommended

Yes, charging kind of stops at 99%. I'm not only relying on inbuilt battery indicator, but HWiNFO app also shows that battery charging stops at 99.1% and the battery watts value doesn't reach to its maximum value (gap of 1%).

I'm more concerned because I don't want the issue to be aggravated in long run. If it does, I'll not be in position to spend more on the laptop. (when warranty expires)

Hope you understand.

Thanks 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.