Top Student
5 0 1
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery not charging

W0P31AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried all the solutions found on this forum or others, but my laptop doesn't want to charge, now to more than 60%. 

The diagnostic at the most gives a battery not calibrated, but even the calibration doesn't change the situation much.

The only way I was able to charge it was with a OS refresh, but it did it only once and at a painstakingly slow speed.

I am at my wit's end. One thing I have noted is that the laptop does not charge even when turned off, so I believe that the issue is either hardware or at a more basic level than the OS. 

I believe that HP know that but they just gave lemons around and now they don't care anymore once the warranty is expired.

Thanks

14 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
13934 964 1444
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery not charging

Hi! @mda1971, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have battery charging issues with your laptop.

Don't worry I'll to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Have you tried charging your laptop using a different adapter or battery?

Does your laptop shutdown when you unplug the charger from your PC?

I appriciate your efforts for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

But I would recommend you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

Try updating the BIOS and chipset drivers on your PC and check if it helps.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Also, update the chipset drivers using this link. Click Here

Check if the pin inside the DC or charging port is bent or broken.

Please perform below-shown steps to resolve the issue:
Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get reinstalled automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

Also, Try performing a hard reset on your laptop and check if it helps.

Please Shutdown the Notebook
Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot battery issues with your laptop. Click Here

Also, try running a battery test on your PC and check if the battery is functioning correctly.

You can run a battery test on your PC using HP support assistant. Refer this link for more information: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467905

Also, you can run a system diagnostics test from F2 reset this article to know more information. Link: https://support.hp.com/lt-en/document/c03467259

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! :)

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
mda1971 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 1
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery not charging

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop? No, I did not except the usual Windows update

Have you tried charging your laptop using a different adapter or battery? Yes, as a matter of facts my daughter Chromebook has a power supply that is identical and we frequently switch it, to no avail

Does your laptop shutdown when you unplug the charger from your PC? No, the battery still functions in that respect.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click HereDone but it was already at F48, no change!

Also, update the chipset drivers using this link. Click HereDone, but I had already done it, no change

Check if the pin inside the DC or charging port is bent or broken.  No, it is not

Please perform below-shown steps to resolve the issue:
Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get reinstalled automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

Done exactly this procedure, twice to no avail. As a matter of facts, it did started charging, but just 1% to 2% in one hour then it stopped again

Also, Try performing a hard reset on your laptop and check if it helps.

Please Shutdown the Notebook
Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon.

Other than the ACPI driver uninstall there is not much difference from the above

Refer this article to further troubleshoot battery issues with your laptop. Click Here

Also, try running a battery test on your PC and check if the battery is functioning correctly. – Done all possible diagnostics and the battery seems fine

You can run a battery test on your PC using HP support assistant. Refer this link for more information: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467905

Also, you can run a system diagnostics test from F2 reset this article to know more information. Link: https://support.hp.com/lt-en/document/c03467259

HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
13934 964 1444
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery not charging

@mda1971, thanks for writing back to us.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

You did a Marvellous job by trying the steps recommended previously.

As you mentioned the battery test passed without any failures.

Lastly, I would suggest you perform a complete system recovery using the recovery discs.

If you don't have a set of recovery discs or a recovery kit. I will share you few details through a private message.

Please watch your inbox for more information.

Have a pleasant day ahead!

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
mda1971 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 1
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery not charging

I have already tried the refresh of the system. I run the recovery and reset the system. At that time the battery actually charged after an incredible amount of time (several hours) to full, but as soon as I had started to use the PC and run it on battery it immediately started again the issue. I strongly suspect that there is something wrong on the battery or the PC, as I don't understand why the system doesn't charge the battery when the PC is in sleep or off. 

If it an hardware issue then I could be covered by the extended warranty, if it is a software problem, I would not.

What do you think?

Regards,

Matteo 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
13934 964 1444
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery not charging

@mda1971, Thanks for your prompt response and time.

As the battery test has passed on your PC. It clearly looks like a software issue.

So I suggested you to contact HP phone support and order a set of recovery discs.

And extended warranty covers both software and hardware support. 

Hope this answers your query!

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
mda1971 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 1
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery not charging

@MrRobot,  why the PC doesn't charge the battery while in sleep or when off? My work PC does that normally. Is it a design flaw on HP side?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
13934 964 1444
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery not charging

@mda1971, Thanks for your quick response again.

When the PC is completely charged it will stop charging your PC. So It could be one reason for charging issues.

And other reason could be the core operating system files on your PC has got corrupted due to which you are facing charging issues.

Please perform a complete system recovery using the recovery kit as suggested in my previous post.

Hope this answers your query!

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
mda1971 Top Student
Top Student
5 0 1
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery not charging

I finally understand why I have the issue. If the level of HP employees is the same, it is understandable... they don't simply inderstand what we are talking about. 

I have asked: why doesn't the PC charges up at least when on sleep or off? I would have expected to find the battery fully charged. But the reply is "When the PC is completely charged it will stop charging your PC". IT IS NOT COMPLETELY CHARGED, IT STAYS AT ~60%. SO IT IS DEFINITELY NOT A SOFTWARE ISSUE (WINDOWS). IT IS MOST LIKELY A BIOS ISSUE (that HP does not bother to fix) or a hardware issue, i.e. the PC is a lemon! 

0 Kudos
SHELLBELL85 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery not charging

I am having the same issue and my big problem is this site doesnt provide much info on warranties. I can not remember if I have a warranty or not or how to go about finding out and what I need to do to get rid of this faulty laptop and get another one. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation