Tutor
14 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery plugged in, not charging

Envy dv7t-7300 CTO Quad Editio
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My notebook is 3 years old, but the battery has charged with no problem until yesterday. Now it suddenly won't charge; it says "25% - plugged in, not charging." I ran the battery test, result: "weak (30) The battery is functioning correctly, but due to normal aging of the battery, the battery life between charges is now significantly shorter than when it was new." So it seems the battery isn't defective, even though it's getting old.

I hesitate to run the battery calibration because appaently that will fully discharge the battery, and maybe it will never re-charge.

I upgraded to Win10 a few days before this happened; don't know whether that might have contributed to this problem.

What's going on here and how can I fix it?

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
45984 4356 11094
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery plugged in, not charging

@JohnCC wrote:

My notebook is 3 years old, but the battery has charged with no problem until yesterday. Now it suddenly won't charge; it says "25% - plugged in, not charging." I ran the battery test, result: "weak (30) The battery is functioning correctly, but due to normal aging of the battery, the battery life between charges is now significantly shorter than when it was new." So it seems the battery isn't defective, even though it's getting old.

I hesitate to run the battery calibration because appaently that will fully discharge the battery, and maybe it will never re-charge.

I upgraded to Win10 a few days before this happened; don't know whether that might have contributed to this problem.

What's going on here and how can I fix it?

" I ran the battery test, result: "weak (30) The battery is functioning correctly, but due to normal aging of the battery, the battery life between charges is now significantly shorter than when it was new." So it seems the battery isn't defective, even though it's getting old"   Your logic in regard to battery life is flawed. If the battery life between charges is shorter, that means that it is no longer functioning as it did when newer. The result of the test already told you that it is wearing out.

You can remove the battery and use the noteboook temporarily without it. Performing a calibration at this point will not help. All it does is actualize the 100% in terms of remaining battery capacity.

You can resolve the issue by purchasing a guaranteed compatible battery with a one year warranty from a reputable online vendor.

There is no requirement for the battery to be an HP OEM unit.

Perform a Google search  to find a candidate battery. Make certain that the vendor provides a guarantee of compatiblity with your notebook and a one year warranty.

At three years of serviceable use, your battery has performed well. That pretty much the norm in service life for notebook batteries.

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation