Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cs0xxx

My parents have a HP Pavilion that they've owned for slightly more than 2 years. Late last year/early this year (I don't remember which) they noticed that their laptop would say it was plugged in and charging but the charge would never change on the indicator (it was stuck somewhere around 60/62% at the time). I suggested they speak to someone about that since I figured it needed to be looked into.  Apparently they never got around to it. 

A week or so ago things changed massively with the laptop. We unplugged it to go print something and the moment the power cord was unplugged the laptop immediately lost power and would not turn on again unless it was plugged in.  When plugged in, however, the battery indicator claimed it was at a 90% charge.  I attempted to troubleshoot the laptop and did a battery check.  The battery check ended early and idn't provide an error code but it did state that the battery needed to be calibrated. I attempted to calibrate the battery but then a message appeared stating that manual calibration wasn't supported on this device (or something similar). I tried this multiple times and got the same result. 

I had figured we would need to get it serviced but we don't have anywhere near us that does that and we've been so busy that we can't make a trip. Originally the laptop was still working fine as long as it stayed plugged in sonwe though we'd be ok for a bit. Today however, it suddenly started slowing down to the point that it looks like the screen is frozen (or it actually freezes briefly).  It takes ages to get to the sign in screen at start up (like 10min) and even longer to be able to do anything with the computer once signed in.

I am completely lost about what to do next and am hoping that someone can tell me what might be causing these problems.  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi@At2021, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand that you have HP Pavilion 15-Cs0xxx and the battery not holding the charge.

Let's try this:

Run hardware diagnostics test on battery and Charger:

Use the following steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.
  4. The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.
  5. To run both tests simultaneously, in the Component Tests menu, click Power Source, and then click Run once. Each component can also be tested individually.

AC Adapter Test:

The AC Adapter test provides an interactive test to determine if the AC power adapter is functioning properly. A good battery is required for this test. Before running the AC Adapter Test, HP recommends verifying that your computer can receive power by connecting a known working AC adapter.

Follow these steps to perform the AC Adapter Test.

• In the Component Tests menu, click Power, and then click an AC Adapter Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • The AC Adapter Test begins.
  • When the test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.

Battery Test:

Follow these steps to perform the Battery Test:

1. In the Component Tests menu, click Power, and then click Battery.
  2. Click Run once. The Battery Test begins.
  3. When the battery test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen. For additional battery information, click Battery Details.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others fin

HP Recommended

Hi @Praveenbv 

Thank you for your response!

I have attempted to run the Component Tests as you suggested. 

The AC Adapter Test finished instantly, rather than taking the 2 minutes it claimed it would, and the tests says that it PASSED and provided a PASS ID.

The Battery Test however, took approximately 12-15 seconds to finish (instead of the 2 minutes), the test failed and provided the following information:

Battery Check: Primary - Replace (42)

Primary: Logic State - Calibration Required (20), Charge State - Blown Fuse (42)

And it provided a FAILURE ID.

This is different from what happened the last time I testef the battery, when it stated it only said calibration was needed (back then the battery worked but wouldn't charge, now the battery doesn't work at all).

Unfortunately, I still don't really know where to go from here. I believe this laptop is no longer on warrenty which means that its nearly impossible to find out what to do.  Additionally the nearest service location is more than 80 miles away which means we can't even stop by a location for advice. Do these codes mean that my parents (whose laptop this is) are going to need to buy a replacement battery? If they get a replacement battery will this issue happen again? Is there any way to find out what has caused this to happen and to avoid it happening again? My parents have had this laptop for maybe 3 years, they started having a variety of battery issues at least 1 year ago. They don't use the laptop that frequently, mostly for bills and the occasional zoom call, so this happening makes no sense and it seems ridiculous that they should need to buy another device this soon.

Any advice on where to go from here is greatly appreciated. 

Also, below are images of the results of the tests

20210807_185440.jpg

20210807_185733.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.