Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17-x032nd (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good evening,

I want to downgrade my Bios. Currently I'm running F.32 on an 17 inch x032nd laptop but I have energy issues.

Issues are..:

- When the battery is out of the laptop it shows 255% loaded energy (ac-power is only plugged in)

- When I have the battery in the laptop with the power-ac connected it will not load when the computer is started (silver light)

- When the computer is off the battery loads with the ac-power connected and shows an orange light

I tried downgrading to a previous version instead of the one released in July 2019 but with the USB-flash drive it says: can't find BIOS files, when I press the F2 button and want to go back to a previous version it says it is not available.

I think these battery issues and ac-power issues have something to do with the bios upgrades in the past (before the F.32) and I have tried many options, restarted maybe a hundred times but it's not working as it should. Maybe somebody can help me with these issues? Any help would be appreciated. Have a nice day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Aha..I finally got to the bottom of this issue..none had to do with the above. It depends on how you place the plug in the laptop.

Apparently entering the cable horizontal doesn't give the same situation as placing the connector plug vertical in the laptop. Horizontal often produces an orange light (and charging) while vertical placement of the plug produces the white light all of the time.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Drainman

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the battery issue. 

Let's try these steps -

Step 1 Hard Reset -

1.) Shutdown the computer. 
2.) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected. 
3.) Remove the Battery. 

Note - This step is not applicable for built-in battery. 
4.) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds. 
5.) Plug-in the Adapter and put the Battery back into the computer. 
6.) Try to turn on the computer. 

Step 2 BIOS Defaults -

1.) Shutdown the computer. 
2.) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3.) Press F10 once for BIOS. 
4.) Press F9 for BIOS defaults. 
5.) Press F10 to save and exit. 

Step 3 Download and install the BIOS and Chipset driver from this link

Step 4 Test the hardware - 

1.) Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
2.) Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
3.) On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
4.) Click Extensive Test. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good morning Asmita,

Tried 1,2, 3 no result / solution

4; got an error msg right in the beginning of the extensive test: PGBVXV-9K3A0K-GXGK7G-C09S03

WGU66EA#ABH Battery - Primairy - replaced (42)

Excuse me for the little delay in the tryout today. I didn't have notifications on for this thread.

HP Recommended

@Drainman

The Failure ID is related to the battery. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the battery replacement. 

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good morning Asmita,

When I click on your link and enter my product for support:

HP notebook - 17-x032nd (ENERGY STAR)

I get an answer:

Go to support Forums - Well I'm already here

Go to a service center - This last option is not what I want

Is there a way (that works) to go back to an older version of the Bios? I think the problem occured with the update of the Bios in the past.

Otherwise: is there a way to speak to a Dutch service employee (on the telephone) regarding this issue? Can you please provide me a number if possible?

Hope to hear from you.

Marcel

HP Recommended

Hi @Drainman

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good morning,

I did a couple of things, but tonight (all of the sudden) my laptop is showing an orange light and is charging in Windows again just as it should do.

Things I can remember I did during one day: delete the drivers under the system settings in the battery section with the battery out of the computer and start the computer with the battery back in it. Also update the drivers there (but there wasn't an update). 

Checked that I had al the latest drivers and repair my registry. 

I deleted some other ACPI (the ones in the systemdevices) - mouse was turned of during these deletions and had to restart after it.

Well anyway..so this is not a bios issue. I'm really not sure what did the trick. But now everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the support Asmita. Finally we got there 🙂

HP Recommended

Aha..I finally got to the bottom of this issue..none had to do with the above. It depends on how you place the plug in the laptop.

Apparently entering the cable horizontal doesn't give the same situation as placing the connector plug vertical in the laptop. Horizontal often produces an orange light (and charging) while vertical placement of the plug produces the white light all of the time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.