Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv5 1220ET
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone, I am hopeful to find answers to my questions. First of all I have been using Pavilion dv5 1220ET notebook for many years. I upgraded ram memories and changed the hard drive with an SSD. However, I am not sure about the SSD speed because some programs say that my laptop supports SATA 3 but SSD dashboard says that it is connected with SATA 2 at the moment. When I opened the hard drive part, I see only one port, as far as I understand. So, can anyone tell me whether my laptop supports SATA III or not? and how? Finally, HP support assistant does not show any upgrade for my laptop but as I see, current bios verison is F11. and the latest one I think is F21. Is it necessary to upgrade the latest bios? What does it help if I do so? Thanks a lot in advance. Bye. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Noncemale59 wrote:

... However, I am not sure about the SSD speed because some programs say that my laptop supports SATA 3 but SSD dashboard says that it is connected with SATA 2 at the moment. ..

@Noncemale59 

Normal SSD supports SATA III but the controller on your laptop MUST also support SATA III. I believe your old DV5 has SATA II controller therefore SATA III SSD only run as SATA II.  BIOS won't help.

Please check your old HDD, what is it ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Noncemale59 wrote:

... However, I am not sure about the SSD speed because some programs say that my laptop supports SATA 3 but SSD dashboard says that it is connected with SATA 2 at the moment. ..

@Noncemale59 

Normal SSD supports SATA III but the controller on your laptop MUST also support SATA III. I believe your old DV5 has SATA II controller therefore SATA III SSD only run as SATA II.  BIOS won't help.

Please check your old HDD, what is it ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your rapid response to my question. I am really glad to get the real information from the experts. There is also one more thing that I want to ask about my laptop. I watch some videos about m2 nvme ssd and I wonder the possibility of installing this on my old pavilion. Is it possible and soes it make any sense if I use it? Or, do you say, "Do not try hard for your old pavilion, let it go as far as it gets:)" But I really like my laptop. I just want some critical possible upgrades for better usage. I am waiting for your recommendations. Thanks in advance.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.