Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP pavilion gaming 15" laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Okay so i did something stupid, i bought a pavilion gaming laptop with ryzen 7 5800h with rtx 3050 last month. I noticed it heated over 90°c while playing games. Long story short, i opened the lid and messed around, and there was this thick black tape around the CPU and GPU, just between the CPU/GPU and the heatsink. I got clumsy and i ripped off the tape on the CPU. I think i voided warranty, but my concern is that was that tape having a function or was it just like a seal for warranty. Is there a chance I may short my CPU now that the tape is removed?? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Was it tape or was it thermal insulation?

If it was thermal insulation, removing it will cause the notebook to heat up even more.

I recommend you check the service manual for your specific model notebook and look at the chapter for the disassembly procedures.

The processor is not removable.

The tape certainly was not a warranty seal.

HP Recommended

Removing did not heat it up even more, in fact after removing the tape I managed to get thermal paste on the CPU pins, I cleaned them with alcohol and a toothbrush and reapplied the thermal paste and put the laptop back together (minus the tape). It's working fine now actually 3-5 degrees cooler but I'm worried if I'll somehow short my circuit. If that's the case can you please tell me what tape that is so I can replace it.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I would have no idea what the type of tape you removed is, or where you can find it.

As I posted yesterday, see if there are any clues in your specific model notebook's service manual.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.