Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 convertable
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I did up update and since then it goes to black screen after logging in. Takes about ten minutes to start up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is a Windows Update issue. Wait 5-10 minutes for the desktop screen to appear

Right click the windows start button and click on "Run".

- in the Run box  type services.msc and click ok

- look for App Readiness in the list

- double-click it, and you'll have the Properties dialogue

- change Manual to Disabled and then OK

- try rebooting as normal

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

This is a Windows Update issue. Wait 5-10 minutes for the desktop screen to appear

Right click the windows start button and click on "Run".

- in the Run box  type services.msc and click ok

- look for App Readiness in the list

- double-click it, and you'll have the Properties dialogue

- change Manual to Disabled and then OK

- try rebooting as normal

HP Recommended

My new HP Notebook also has the same problem.  I searched through the internet and found that only HP notebook has this problem.  The so call solution you provided is just a work around.  Are you sure that the problem is due to Microsoft?  Has HP contacted Microsoft and prepared to work out the solution for your customers?  It is such a bad experience for me to buy HP notebook for the first time.  If this problem is not resolved, can I return the notebook to HP and get the money back?

HP Recommended

@David__

Microsoft themselves suggested the solution. It may seem only HP laptops have the problem but not true. A Google search will show that. There may be more results for HP come up because HP is one of the leading sellers of laptops.

This problem is not even new to Windows 10. It was also present to some extent in Windows 8.1.

HP Recommended

Does this solution also work on the laptop HP PavilionX360 14-BA081ND. My daughter bought this laptop 3 weeks ago, because she needs it for her study. Now she cannot work with it at school. At the store where we bought the laptop they said, this is an update problem of HP, they did not mention Windows. I'm not very handy with computers, can we fix it ourselfs?  When she did the log in, we don't see the start button. Please give us a solution, so that my daughter can work with her €624,= laptop from HP in scool again as soon as possible.

HP Recommended

@leeuwtje

Yes, it works on any Windows laptop having the problem. The Start button is the Windows logo in far left corner of the taskbar. Same  position as the actual button titled as Start on previous versions of Windows.

HP Recommended

@Sillygirls @leeuwtje @David__

HP has just issued a patch to address this issue. Check the list to see if the patch applies to your model:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.html

Patch download:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe

HP Recommended

Resolving the black screen issue caused by Windows 10 update

If you have previously disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Click Start and type Services
  3. Open desktop app Services and find App Readiness
  4. Open the service and set Startup type to Manual
  5. Click Apply and close the window
  6. Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  7. Reboot PC

If you have not disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Wait 15-20 minutes for the boot process to complete and desktop to load
  3. Once on desktop, Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  4. Reboot PC
I am an HP employee
HP Recommended
This solution works on my notebook. Thank you for the quick response.
HP Recommended
What if my desktop never comes up? How can i fix it then? Ive read other posts that said 5-10 minutes max. I’ve left it on the black screen much longer than that.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.