Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am using my HP Pavilion DV6 7023tx laptop. It is 1 year 3 months older(warrenty expired). It was working fine but one evening i found it start with black screen and caps lock blink twich every 2/3 seconds and after some times it's getting hot.

I have tried to solve the issue accoroding to the following link

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

It looks like BIOS corruption failure. but it will not automatically recovering that mentioned in post.

So what should i do now?

Could you guys tell me what should i do?

Thanks in advance.

Product Information:

===============

HP Pavilion DV6 7023tx

Serial No : [Personal Information Removed]

Product ID: B3J66PA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello SuperMario1,

Thanks for your response.

The last thing i did, remove CMOS battery and after a few minutes i plugged it.

Then connect AC power adapter and press power button.
Laptop starts but gives a error message

"The CMOS checksum is invalid, The BIOS will be reset to the default configuration and will be rebooted."

🙂

Finally laptop start normally. It works fine ...

But same problem when i restart

"blank screen caps lock blink 2 times every 3/4 sec"
😞

So finally

1. remove CMOS battery and after a few minutes i plugged it again

2. connect AC power adapter and press power button

3. laptops starts normally (with a error msg same as previous)

4. Upgrade bios to F.29(previously i had F.24)

5. Everythings works fine (restart/shutdown have no effect)

🙂 🙂 🙂

Nirupam Chandra Modak

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello nirupam_duet,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I hope you enjoy your experience!

I understand the computer has a BIOS corruption failure. If you followed all of the troubleshooting, then I would encourage you to contact HP phone support. They may have to service the computer to resolve the issue. You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you for choosing the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hello SuperMario1,

Thanks for your response.

The last thing i did, remove CMOS battery and after a few minutes i plugged it.

Then connect AC power adapter and press power button.
Laptop starts but gives a error message

"The CMOS checksum is invalid, The BIOS will be reset to the default configuration and will be rebooted."

🙂

Finally laptop start normally. It works fine ...

But same problem when i restart

"blank screen caps lock blink 2 times every 3/4 sec"
😞

So finally

1. remove CMOS battery and after a few minutes i plugged it again

2. connect AC power adapter and press power button

3. laptops starts normally (with a error msg same as previous)

4. Upgrade bios to F.29(previously i had F.24)

5. Everythings works fine (restart/shutdown have no effect)

🙂 🙂 🙂

Nirupam Chandra Modak

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem now. After doing what you said, the computer booted up successfully. however, i realized my bios is already f29, so i thought i didnt have to update it, and then i restarted it to see if it can boot up again.

It's not booting again.

Only this time, unplugging the cmos battery and wait a few minutes and put it back doesn't work anymore. I then tried boot it up without the cmos battery, it booted up showing the bios will be reset info, then when i hit enter it still won't boot. Now not matter what i do, with or without the battery, my laptop stays dead with capslock blinking twice every sec.

Anyone have any suggestion?

[UPDATE]

somehow i used the cmos battery trick to get it booted into windows again. but it won't boot if i restart - i need to use this trick everytime to boot up. I'm not sure if i should reinstall the bios driver since 1. its already f.29 and 2. i dont know whats gonna happen if i update it needs to restart and it fails to boot up and brick my laptop permanently. So, still need help!

HP Recommended
I had the same problem, but after removing the keyboard and the hard disk and putting them back again, the laptop came on. It is working well now.
HP Recommended

I had this exact problem. Display not switching on and Caps Lock light blinking twice.

I opened up the back, and closed it again!!!

I did some digging around and found this page:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833#AbT1

It gives full instructions on how to create a boot up USB with a new BIOS on it.

I followed the instructions on another laptop, inserted the USB stick into the broken machine and booted it up.

To my astonishment it worked!!!!

Hope this works for you too :0)

HP Recommended

Hi Dregsy, I actually logged in only to thank you, your method saved me ! Easy to put in place and fixed after the first try, thanks man ! 

HP Recommended
Thank you Nirupam. Removing the cmos battery worked for me

😄
HP Recommended

I had the same problem black screen WiFi lit orange an cap lock flashed twice. I tried booting into bios with windows key + b an windows key + v did not work for me I was able to remove the bios battery for 30 seconds an received the same error as the guy above an it restarted and everything was working as normal again.

so the proper fix for this problem is to remove bios battery an replace 30 seconds later will work for anyone with this problem as that will reset the bios. if not the board is fried if you have to keep doing this to get it to boot every time check ur ram chips and hard drive out an those check out fine. Reflash your bios if still happening reformat your computer if that fails as well I’d replace the bios battery 

HP Recommended

I have two computers a Pavillion G6 and a 2000 and I liked the 2000 chassis and decided to swap the hard drive with the Pavilion and vise virsa and had the same issue but swapped the CMOS Battery and the problem was fixed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.