Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (222 Views)

Blinking Caps & Self shutdown

[ Edited ]
Product Name: EliteBook 8560w
Operating System: Other

Hello,

i have problem with my EliteBook 8560w(With dual boot Windows 7 64bit and Linux Mint 17.3 if its important). When I plug it in AC charger it turns on by itself and after 2-3 sec. it shutsdown without warning. After shutting down the laptop can't be turned on using the power button. This occurs everytime I plug it in the charger. I get the same problem when I place the battery. I tryed the following: removing RAM, removing HDD, removing BIOS battery. Everytime the laptop turns on itself immediately when plugged in then shuts down after 2-3 sec. Its not heating problem either, because fan check is passing and I have recently replaced heatsink paste.

When I plugged off the power button from the motherboard, the laptop stopped turning on when pluged in, but there is no way I can turn it on. Any suggestions what can be the cause of the problem and what solution can I try?

Edit: When the laptop starts I get 2 blinks on Caps Lock(white) and 1 blink on Num Lock(white) then laptop shuts down and Caps Lock is glowing.

I found out that 2 blinks on Caps/Num lock are for BIOS problem, but I can't start recovery from USB, because the machine shuts down. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 3 (152 Views)

Re: Blinking Caps & Self shutdown

Hi

Please folow the below links to find a solution:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

OR

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01732674

Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot

It contains the details of the caps lock coding and what it means.

i recommend contacting HP on 1800-474-6836 so that they may get your pc repaired as it seems to be a CPU failure.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (138 Views)

Re: Blinking Caps & Self shutdown

Well, it wasn't CPU failure. I tested the CPU on another laptop and there was no problem. The problem appears to be in the regulator RT8205C failure.

I've send the laptop to service so the element can be replaced.

I will inform when I have progress. Smiley Happy

Thank you for your reply

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation