Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook x360 830 G6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I use a Bluetooth mouse, and updated the BIOS to HP R78 Ver.01.02.01.

After the BIOS was updated the Bluetooth Driver was missing from the Device Manager and there was an Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).

I tried updating the driver software and disabling the Unknown device and restarting, but nothing changed.

I have been through the Device Manager and updated any driver where there was a later version and I have reinstalled the Bluetooth driver from the HP Support download.

It seems too much of a coincidence that this is a hardware fault as it was working fine prior to the BIOS update and failed afterwards.

Has anyone experienced the same problem or can anyone recommend a solution?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Just an update.

I have Googled this problem and found others that in the past have experienced the same thing and the solution was to update the WiFi driver, but I have updated every driver I can find and the Bluetooth device is still not being recognised, and despite the laptop being just a few months old it doesn't seem to support the Window +B (or +V) Bios recovery options.

Since updating the BIOS that caused the problem there has been a newer version, but even after installing the latest Bios (1.03.03) the Bluetooth device is still not being recognised.

HP sent an engineer who replaced the Bluetooth chip but as expected that didn't make any difference, although it looks like a hardware problem it was always too much of a coincidence to be one. 

They are suggesting that I do a full cloud recovery and although I can do that I really can't see that reinstalling Windows is going to have any effect on the BIOS and a full recovery is going to take me a couple of days to get all the installed software re-installed.

I know a lot of people don't use Bluetooth that much, and it is unfortunately that I do, mouse, headphones, music speakers and transferring files to and from my mobile phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get back to an earlier BIOS - the trouble is I am not sure what version of BIOS I was running when everything last worked, the laptop was purchased in July so maybe someone can tell me what the current BIOS was then. My only concern is that going back to an older Bios would I have problems with the newer drivers I have since installed for other devices?

If it can be confirmed that this is a known problem and a solution was being worked on I could perhaps wait, but at the moment it seems that no one else is experiencing the same problem, but that could be because people don;t bother updating the BIOS  - or if they do, don't use Bluetooth.  

HP Recommended

After two months I have finally had my problem resolved. 

HP support tried to allow me to recover to an earlier BIOS but despite this appearing to work when the machine restarted and attempted to install the earlier version of BIOS, and despite the BIOS settings set to allow earlier BIOS to be installed, it displayed a message saying that it was refusing to install an earlier version.

Another engineer was called, who thought he had come armed with a new motherboard, but in actually fact when he opened the box it turned out to be replacement screen, he wasn't sure if that was intentional or not, the Bluetooth is integrated with the WiFi so maybe someone thought it was an aerial problem????

After loading some engineering diagnostic software through the BIOS screen he said that the Bluetooth was passing all the test (I told him I wouldn't have expected it to fail because the Bluetooth had already been swapped out), he started to tell me that I needed to reload Windows - which I consider advise that has no logic, the Bluetooth was not showing up in the BIOS screen so how an operating system sitting on top of that could resolve the hardware/driver issue was in my view nonsense.

At one stage he suggested that HP wouldn't want to replace the motherboard and that I might want to buy an external Bluetooth device. I told him that the HP assistant advised me to update the HP supplied BIOS and I didn't spend good money on a laptop to then require an external Bluetooth, as far as I was concerned this was an issue that HP owned. 

However, he continued to mess around with the Bluetooth BIOS tools which then seemed to kick the Bluetooth into life.

Restarting the machine then confirmed that the Bluetooth was now being recognised and when I logged on Bluetooth was all working.

I asked if this was something that I might have been able to do over the phone but he suggested that it was a bit of a struggle for him so probably not.

I am just grateful that I didn't have to spend three days reinstalling Windows and all my applications in order to prove that this was never going to be a Windows problem. It was unlikely to be a hardware problem because everything was working before the BIOS update and wasn't working when the laptop was restarted.

I hope my experience helps others.

HP Recommended

Update to previous post

The Bluetooth problem I was experienced returned after a few weeks, for no obvious reason, one minute it was working, the next it wasn't.

This time the engineer swapped out the processor board and the Bluetooth/WiFi module and that seems to have worked.

This looked like it must have been a hardware problem but not on the Bluetooth/WiFi module but elsewhere.  

Very strange that it first appeared after a BIOS update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.