Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I plug the laptop into the AC it gives this low static noise directly under the keys, it's very similar to the sound you hear when you're under high voltage power lines and hear the crackling of electricity with air.  When it's unplugged the noise is gone.  I've also used another HP 45W power cord, the same thing.  I also tried plugging it into my USB C docking station, and it powers just fine but still makes the sound.  I only had the laptop for a few days, but it's annoying enough to distract me from using it for much longer.  No clue how this past QA, the USB on the right side is also unusable.  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Alright, I have identified the problem, it's called coil whine.  I heard the exact same issue after hearing it on a mic found on youtube.  This has zero/nothing to do with speakers, the bios, or the fan.  Those are the first things HP Reps will bring up incorrectly.  it's usually caused by an electrical current going through a power-regulating component like a transformer or inductor, causing its electrical wiring to vibrate at a variable frequency.  If it's annoying enough it should be returned under warranty, which I'm doing.   

I've contacted the BBB and asked for a 100% refund and for the computer to be repaired and returned to me.  I will wait for a response before reaching out to my credit card company.  My time alone invested in resolving this i've calculated is worth about 13 times what this laptop costs.   Really disappointed that a legacy valley company like HP would have their QA ship this out, what an embarasement.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.