Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brand New Notebook - Noisy Fan and Overheating

HP ENVY x360 - 15t touch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I recently purchased the HP ENVY x360 - 15t touch
Product Number: 5GM30AV

I'm having an issue with the fan coming on and the CPU getting hotter than expected.  It's a brand new laptop with clean vents and I've already had the heat sink, fan and motherboard replace by HP.  HP also performed a bios and windows update. The fan only starts to get going and heat up when the laptop is plugged in and charging, happened since first use one month ago. I've tried 2 different HP charging cables and neither solved the problem. 1st charging cable that came with the laptop and the other is from a 5 year old HP. Maybe I need to try another cable?  

Currently my CPU is at 15%, memory 50% I only have a Chrome browser with 1 tab open and the fan is spinning at a medium/high velocity, CPU temp is around 60c.I just unplugged the charger and the fan dropped down and then turned off completely after about a minute and the CPU temp is currently around 45c after a few minutes. I plug it back in and the fan comes on after about 10 seconds at a low speed and then ramps up to medium/high speed over the next minute where it maintains itself while the CPU temp is 60c in the first minute. I then open the Netflix app and the fan immediately starts to go high and once I start to stream the fan goes full blast and the temperature cpu temp between 72c-78c.

Does anybody have any insight or suggestions how to resolve this matter? 

Thanks in advance,
Eric
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
19,594 17,504 1,627 3,825
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brand New Notebook - Noisy Fan and Overheating

@Eric718 

Why would you think a charging cable would have anything to do with this?

The new lightweight laptops run hot -- plain and simple. The thin cases leave little room for airflow and the tiny fans have to run fast to keep the processors below the thermal cutoff thresholds -- that's how they work!  It's a downside of using the new ultralights with their thin cases and small fans.

I have an older, heavy, laptop and it never overheats and the fan is nearly always dead silent.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation