Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Broken Hinges

ENVY M6 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought my wife an HP Envy M6 notebook in March 2015. She has the exact same problem that other people have had with their notebook hinges. In her case, both have broken somehow.  Her notebook casing separates from the screen  when opening/closing, and it is hard to keep open unless you push the screen 110 - 120 degrees or so. When the notebook is closed, you can see a big gap between the screen and the casing. At this time, her screen has not suffered, but I experienced something similar myself with an older HP notebook and my screen turned light blue. I would like to avoid hers to get to that point.

The warranty on her notebook has expired already, but I would like do something, so that she can continue using her laptop for another couple of years if possible. I think HP should have a plan (repair/replace) for this specific issue, since it seems to be a very common one among HP notebook owners. 

This is the 3rd case of a hinge issue with HP notebooks in our household. I have kept getting them because I like their looks and versatility, but I am getting to the point where I might have to switch to a different manufacturer with stronger built machines.

Would appreciate any help... Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
18,677 14,003 293 1,094
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Broken Hinges

@TechNerdAbroad

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
TechNerdAbroad Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Broken Hinges

Hello There.... Thank you for the assistance provided last time, and for putting me in contact with an HP Representative to work on my issue. At this time, I would like to know if you could please put me in touch with a new Case Manager, so that I can resolve my issue. I appreciate the assistance.

0 Kudos
Retired danny-r
Retired
8,251 7,081 141 474
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Broken Hinges

@TechNerdAbroad

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
TechNerdAbroad Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Broken Hinges

Hello There... I seem to be having a problem with a different laptop now, but it could be related to the same hinge issues... Hinge on this other laptop seems loose and it could be what is affecting the laptop cooling fan that is located next to the hinge. I am getting an error when starting the laptop that the fan is not working properly and causing the laptop to overheat and shut down. This seems to be again a problem with the hinge design, and would like somone to assist me with this problem (Case Manager). The laptop is out of warranty, same as my other one, but would like somone from HP to help me get this resolved. Too many hinge issues, 4th laptop for me now! Thanks for listening...
0 Kudos
18,677 14,003 293 1,094
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Broken Hinges

@TechNerdAbroad

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation