Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Broken Key After Just 1.5 Years

HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook T0D95UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop is only 1.5 years old and my number six key is broken.  I can send it in to get it fixed for $150.  After spending $625 on a laptop 1.5 years ago, I shouldn't have to spend $150 to fix a defective keyboard.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,585 42,374 6,763 11,817
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Who is charging $150 to fix a keyboard? Jesse James? You can buy the keyboard and take it to Bill Gates' house and have him fix it for that price. If you wish we can help with maybe a single replacement key (depending on how it is broken) and instructions for replacement of the key or even the keyboard for a fraction of that price. If any kind of self-help is not in the cards, then I am not sure what to tell you to do. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is what HP Support told me it would cost.  They also said they could not send me a keyboard, because it had to be replaced by an HP technician.  I asked about being sent just the number six key and snapping it in myself and they said that couldn't be done. I was offered a $559 laptop, to replace the $625 laptop that I have owned for just 1.5 years.  If I can buy the keyboard and replace it or better yet, just the one key, let me know how I go about doing this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
42,585 42,374 6,763 11,817
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Where are you located (country)? I would need to see a picture of the damage but if you did not damage the underlying structures on the keyboard where the key attaches you can replace the key and the plastic supports under it.

On this model HP does not offer just the keyboard as a replacement part. You have to buy the whole top cover for which they charge dearly as you might expect. 

One place you can start is www.laptopkey.com

http://www.laptopkey.com/KeyboardKeys.php/HP/PAVILION/15-AB200

They sell single keys and have videos to show how to replace them which does require a bit of a fine eye and steady hand. They are entrepeneurs who have started this business to fill the void caused by laptop makers who have never offered single replacement keys since there have beeen laptops. The logistics would be too complicated for the tiny potential revenue from selling them so big tech cannot make it work, paving the way for the little guy. 

Failing that, eBay sellers will offer the keyboard only which would then have to be placed into your top cover. Not easy, but doable if you have some tech skills. 

As a last resort we can find you the whole top cover on ebay for less than $150 perhaps substantially less depending on what is there at any given time and where you live. 

Post back with any further questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation