Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've currently been using an HP laptop, the Envy x360 purchased this month, and both of the CPU fans are having issues with what I believe to be  the thermal recognition within the computer causing a spike in temperature. The computer has not shut down, as I proceeded to terminate any programs and shut it down myself before it could completely overheat. According to the BIOS and scans on the power supply and fans there is no problem with them. However, the fans are only operational when entering the BIOS and periodically, JUST, when accessing the HP question mark icon in the taskbar which I find odd. As I enter the BIOS, it's like the fans recognize the computer's temperature is above preferred levels and proceed to spin at an RPM in accordance to heat and slow down as the computer cools as they are designed to do; furthermore I have tested this theory multiple times with different computer temperatures and yield results that support my claim. When using programs that use a lot of power and works the CPU, the computer naturally gets hot, yet the fans remain off and dysfunctional until I restart and open the BIOS. I noticed this problem 3 days prior to this message. I have currently been up to date on the BIOS and drivers and have not installed anything after the updates. When the fan does run, it occurs randomly and only at an idle RPM (much like when starting the computer at a low temperature). I have checked the fans for debris and have taken extra measures to spray out and check for any hindrances such as dirt or lodged items. I have set the BIOS to default settings and that has not helped at all. My computer still has 11 months of warranty but I wanted to ask the community if there is a fix. Based on what I have researched, the heat sink could be partially disconnected or the motherboard is faulty and needs replacement.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @BR4ND0N,

A specific product name or product number is required. Examples include:

• HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0028ca or 5MT98UA#ABL
  • HP ENVY x360 - 15-dr0042nb or 6EL70EA#UUG
  • HP Notebook - 17-by0003na or 4AP04EA#ABU
  • OMEN by HP 15-dc1030nr or 6FE64UA#ABA
  • HP EliteBook 850 G5 Notebook PC or 3JX11EA#ABU

Information on how to find a laptop's product name or product number is detailed in this HP document. (Please do not post serial numbers on the HP Support Community. The difference between a product number and a serial number is that the product number contains a # sign)

I would need the product/model number to look into it more but you should definitely take it to HP Support if you are concerned about the device and your own safety. Furthermore, I do recognize that this is a compromise, but have you considered using the "Fan Always On" option within the BIOS?

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Hello EddyK, thanks for the response. I have set the fans to always on but they don't increase in speed. They remain at a "slow" setting as in they start but never speed up as the laptop increases in heat. The product number and name, in that order, is 9HZ86UA#ABA and HP Envy x360 Convertible 15m-ee0xxx. I've done further investigating such as copying software and downloads from this computer onto my older one. My older HP laptop showed no defects, including the fan and I've ran antivirus and malware scans with no results on both computers. I've also accessed command prompt and ran DISM.exe commands and sfc /scannow to check for any corrupted system files. I'd return to the older computer but it's on its last legs and the WIFI card has failed which causes issues with online access. 

HP Recommended

Hello @BR4ND0N,

Strangely enough, there is actually an advisory for this device regarding how the "cooling fans get noisy," but your case is quite the opposite.

Just want to confirm, you have this version of the BIOS, correct?

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors)

Description:

This package provides an update to the System BIOS. The update installs on supported notebook models using a supported Microsoft Windows Operating System. Restart the system to complete the installation.

Fix and enhancements:

- Improves CPU power consumption.
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp110001-110500/sp110073.exe

Also, could you check if your device has something known as "HP Command Center" preinstalled? You can check either through the list of applications in the Start menu or by using the search box at the bottom left. If you do have this application, please set the performance mode to either "Performance" or "Comfort," whichever you prefer.

Let me know.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.